🔎 UNIDENTIFIED How do I restore these? All I know is they are 1855 Meriden cutlery co. Knives.

DarthYoda333

Jul 14, 2023
6E0E8F53-504E-4E3D-A5EC-26D005CFF985.jpeg
FEA15848-D148-424C-9D5B-B98E91875D87.jpeg

Hi Yoda lol. As far as re finishing make sure the value will not be effected by removing the patina. A lot of times the experts say leave it as is.

Upvote 0
I use the product in the photo.
But as Mine Shaft stated, make sure cleaning isn’t going to devalue them.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpeg
    IMG_2147.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
I have the same pair. They are very nice looking with the MOP handle and sterling collar. The blade is silver plated, so normally you could polish it with a jewelry cloth. Be careful not to get any type of jewelry cleaner, or contact the jewelry cloth, to MOP or soft stones, like turquoise.

I see some rust on the one blade, so that will make polishing a bit hard. Maybe it it with some copper wool. Be very detailed to target the rust and not damage the silver plating.

If you don't plan to use them than oil it up to prevent re rusting.

Upvote 1
I have the same pair. They are very nice looking with the MOP handle and sterling collar. The blade is silver plated, so normally you could polish it with a jewelry cloth. Be careful not to get any type of jewelry cleaner, or contact the jewelry cloth, to MOP or soft stones, like turquoise.

I see some rust on the one blade, so that will make polishing a bit hard. Maybe it it with some copper wool. Be very detailed to target the rust and not damage the silver plating.

If you don't plan to use them then oil it up to prevent re rusting.
I cleaned them up a bit and they really are nice knives! Still a little bit left to clean but they are already shiny!

Attachments

• EE6712BB-BDC5-4EC6-B57A-59D3A3361F62.jpeg
    EE6712BB-BDC5-4EC6-B57A-59D3A3361F62.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Upvote 2
I cleaned them up a bit and they really are nice knives! Still a little bit left to clean but they are already shiny!
They are coming out nice. I always buy these types of knives when I see them for a good price at flea markets. I don't know why, but the style just draws the eye and they are fascinating to look at.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back