how do I know what is what

pantowin

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2013
A buddy and mine went panning didn't really find anything in the water. But on our way back through a rockbed we picked up this wierd rock almost like greenstone with a large chunk of eroded quartz I guess on it when I looked closer I saw chunks of what looked like gold so I got them off now they kinda look like silverish and there is still a lot on it I plan on digging out the rest of the holes on it. But I was curious how can I tell what exactly it is without paying for a test we are both novices at this so we are learning on the fly. I've heard gold can be found attatched to quartz does silver do the same ? Also Ive been told platinum is also in the area..

Upvote 0
gold is soft and will "smash", if its pyrite it will break and crumble. try to use some pliers to "smash" a piece. if it flatens out its gold

Yeah I have squeezed it with pliers and it doesn't do anything

squeeze harder it will give eventually. gold is vefy soft. if it is gold it should show at least some kind of small dents from the pliers. try whackin it with a hammer if you have too..if its gold it wont break into a thousand pieses. you could wrap a piece in an old shirt or somthing. whak it and see if it busts apart or flatens out......thats what i would do. pics would definately help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back