House Site Buckle

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this buckle at a house site that dated from approximately 1840 to 1940. It is part of a two piece buckle and has the number 1 on the front. I can't find any other markings. It measures just under 2.2 inches tall and about 2.2 inches wide. The site is now a cotton field and the plow has done some damage. Can anyone identify or even give me a date range based on the way it is made? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1 Buckle I.JPG
    1 Buckle I.JPG
    880.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 1 Buckle II.JPG
    1 Buckle II.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
Looks like it could be 1/2 of a sash buckle..

Tim

Upvote 0
I've looked thru the buckle book and can't find it. But I kind of lean towards military with that "1" on it. Hopefully someone will recognize it.

Upvote 0
With British, Spanish, and French troops trampling all over Mississippi 200-300 years ago, it may be a foreign military buckle for sure! Very cool find. Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Bump. Thought I'd try this one again. I have continued to try to find this buckle in books an on the web, but can't find anything close. It is too heavy for a sash buckle. It is a belt buckle. But that's all I know. It appears to be very old. Hoping someone may see this that missed it the first time around and can provide some information. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
We would call that a belt clasp on this side of the pond.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back