hot in the woodchips

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
Started out a local swimming pond, was only there a short time before the park ranger told me I could not be in the water. I was in the water just long enough to find the children's size gold ring and a small amount of change, I decided to hit a couple parks with woodchips before the heat became too bad. I had a really great day in the woodchips! ,finding all sorts of things that I would not expect to be there. Found a Mexican coin and a common Chinese coin, I say common coin because lots of people seem to be finding these(my first though). The silver bracelet has a Oriental type stamp on it and nothing else so I don't know if it's made out of silver, it was all rolled up and sounded like a coin. Temperatures were in the lower '90s so I called it a day and went home at to 2 p.m., one good thing about the heat is that no kids were playing at the park today.

Attachments

• july 16.jpg
    july 16.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 439
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 434
  • ring closeup.jpg
    ring closeup.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 430
  • bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 434
  • bracelet closeup.jpg
    bracelet closeup.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0
Wow great finds. Woodchips are always a experience, you never know what might pop out.

WTG

Great haul carpel!! I think the foreign coins are cool, cause ive only found a couple.WTG!!

Nice Haul!! Some 2000 W Sac dollars minted in 1999 are 22k gold!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 295
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 301
Hi Carpel! Just a thrill to be finding huh? ;D I was wondering why the ranger kicked you out of the water if its a swimming place? ??? How long have you been MDing? I guess I'm shy lol I don't want to have anyone, come up to me and tell me anything like that, lol. Have you had much of that? Hope not, and it looked like you were doing good there in that water! ;) Well Hope you find some good hunting places!

Gigi
[/color]

W T G ! Congrats on all those nice finds ! And those are some good quality pics you produced. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep up the good work !

Huntin' 59er

Great finds!!!
Too bad about getting run out of the water...
Good luck & happy hunting~

Nice finds!

I'd be checking into getting a permit to seach that swimming area though, if you found one gold ring, there's bound to be more!

Personally, I've never been ask to leave ANY swimming area, and or beach. Something doesn't sound right to me about this.

HH

Lonewolfe

The local county parks do not allow you to detect in the water, some park rangers are a little more tolerant at some of the parks.Their is only one county park with a swimming area that I can hunt early in the morning before anybody is swimming, IM in the water for about an hour and use the rest of the time hunting on the beach before anybody arrives. One other county park located closer to my home with a swimming area will allow me to hunt in the water only one the lifeguards are on duty, I have gotten to know this local park ranger and he is more tolerant about myself water hunting. There are a couple more County Parks with swimming areas, but they are patrolled by the same park ranger, they will remember who they told not to be in the water and I do not want to get on their bad list as I like to metal detect other areas of the park. I'm currently looking at our local county lakes for public swimming areas and secret swimming locations!, this situation just makes metal detecting a little more interesting.

I actually have a county permit for metal detecting, it specifically says no detecting in the water!, so I will leave when somebody tells me so and considered it's a plus when I am allowed to.

Right on Carpel!!!!! Man, I WISH we'd get into the low 90's. Yesterday was 115!

carpel said:
I actually have a county permit for metal detecting, it specifically says no detecting in the water!, so I will leave when somebody tells me so and considered it's a plus when I am allowed to.

What about during the "off season"??

Our county parks are open from Memorial day thru Labor day, and closed in between. That's when I hunt most of ours, and never see any park patrol, etc.! ;D

I really don't think ours have that rule as I've hunted many of them during the summer in the past but, I got tired of people/swimmers always being in the way, and now I hunt mostly in off season or during/just after rain storms when no one is swimming anyway!

I actually was in the water with my waders in April and was told to get out of the water, I guess the parks department's here in Wisconsin is a little more strict!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back