Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out now that the Olympics is over, didn’t get any tools but I think I got a couple bladelets, the smaller one I’d say definitely is, the larger one probably… I’m pretty happy because it’s a big hint that that’s a hopewell site.
IMG_2103.jpeg
IMG_2100.jpeg

Upvote 7
You can acquire those blades two ways. The hopewells heated a chunk of flint and made small blades on purpose. The core left behind will have multiple blade removals. The other way is to get them from knapping debitage. When you are reducing nodules of flint while making bifaces, blades are made just by the reduction process. Accidental blades really. Those will usually be raw flint instead of heated. If you look through a pile of freshly chipped debitage you will no doubt find a few.

i roughly sorted the other flakes, I definitely pick them up because I’m always looking for information like favorite materials or any oddball imports…. And there’s always a chance some are little quick knives and such… this site continues to be dominated by this grainy white material that’s fairly uncommon everywhere else.
IMG_2140.jpeg

The round ish bit of limestone was just one that got me excited when I saw that lense shape stone coming to a point sticking out of the dirt but it’s just a certain layer of the bedrock that shows up in places, up the left side are a few odd ball materials, the striped one I think could be kay county but not sure because it’s grainy and the tan yellow I suspect is from northern Kansas, I want to say smoky hill jasper but I may be mistaken on the name.

like Todd’s point mentioned before, they were struck from a core so I look for that ridge or two that they followed to get a thin bladlet, I don’t see that ridge on yours. Honestly I still feel good about my id on the little one but the larger one is iffy for that reason.
IMG_2189.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back