Hopefully optimistic

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Earlier this summer I found a huge cache of old, buried harness iron. It was along the fence line at a corner.
The item shown, had been grown into the roots of a hedge tree in the same spot. I got it cut free of the roots today. The tree is still there. Here’s the potentially exciting part. While cutting roots, I discovered a large, thick, flat section of limestone. It appears to be a foundation stone, etc. I don’t believe it got there on its own. The fence at this spot is a south borderline. The hedge tree is about 18” north of the corner and the stone has the tree growing over it. I need to cut the tree out (it is wind damaged) and see if anything is under the stone. I know some folks “banked” that way after the depression. It could also just be an errantly thrown chunk of old foundation stone. Either way I need to clean up the corner. No pictures at this point (intentionally), but will up-date as progress proceeds. There are strong signals in this spot, but remember, the area was full if horse jewelry; so maybe more of the same.
I’m a realist, but it is a possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Earlier this summer I found a huge cache of old, buried harness iron. It was along the fence line at a corner.
The item shown, had been grown into the roots of a hedge tree in the same spot. I got it cut free of the roots today. The tree is still there. Here’s the potentially exciting part. While cutting roots, I discovered a large, thick, flat section of limestone. It appears to be a foundation stone, etc. I don’t believe it got there on its own. The fence at this spot is a south borderline. The hedge tree is about 18” north of the corner and the stone has the tree growing over it. I need to cut the tree out (it is wind damaged) and see if anything is under the stone. I know some folks “banked” that way after the depression. It could also just be an errantly thrown chunk of old foundation stone. Either way I need to clean up the corner. No pictures at this point (intentionally), but will up-date as progress proceeds. There are strong signals in this spot, but remember, the area was full if horse jewelry; so maybe more of the same.
Hope for the best for you and something is there. You”ll never know and will always wonder if you don’t make an attempt. Came across a distinct latrine sized hole about two months ago. Had to know if something was there. As I started to dig about three feet down there were what seemed to be mortar spread on dirt. Kept going to 9 feet but never found anything. Pretty sure it wasn’t a latrine as the well is only about ten feet away downhill. A raised 12’x15’ mound of dirt is about ten feet in the other direction. Wife convinced me to give up after about 3 weeks of periodic digging and probing. Still bothers me and as I still work for the owner and have access can’t rule out trying again.
Anyway hope you get an easier result than I have. Hope it’s a good one.

Hope for the best for you and something is there. You”ll never know and will always wonder if you don’t make an attempt. Came across a distinct latrine sized hole about two months ago. Had to know if something was there. As I started to dig about three feet down there were what seemed to be mortar spread on dirt. Kept going to 9 feet but never found anything. Pretty sure it wasn’t a latrine as the well is only about ten feet away downhill. A raised 12’x15’ mound of dirt is about ten feet in the other direction. Wife convinced me to give up after about 3 weeks of periodic digging and probing. Still bothers me and as I still work for the owner and have access can’t rule out trying again.
Anyway hope you get an easier result than I have. Hope it’s a good one.
Thanks. I’ve been in those situations too. They stay in the back of your mind.

I think you’ve stumbled along a honey hole personally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back