Hope you can figure this one out! Watch back

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the back to a watch. In Script is written: Ch Oudin. Paris cylinder escapement. Four holes jewell'd Another word can only be half seen but looks like Handre-- on bottom is a number looks like 9429. Looks like a few flowers decorate side Hopes this can be solved. I cannot post pictures till later in week. Thanks

Is it gold? Looks like they made some nice watches

$_57.jpg

Upvote 0
If it's just the inside lid like in the above pic? That piece is not gold.(not on all watches but this one) If the watch was Gold to begin with. Just the outer case. On the watch pictured above. They were taken off when the watches were scraped. Not positive that is what happened to yours, but is a good possibility!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is very similar to picture including placement of holes. I do not believe it is gold What was this inner lids purpose. Nitric, you might be right as this was the only piece around. Any idea of timeline?

Upvote 0
Oh and I remember at least one member that is a timepiece expet, I think he is from Hemit. There are other expert members, not me I just want to learn.

Upvote 0
image.jpg
Oh and I remember at least one member that is a timepiece expet, I think he is from Hemit. There are other expert members, not me I just want to learn.[/QUOTE

Got it thanks

Upvote 0
Looks like that's the back of the watch, and if you haven't cleaned it yet it looks like it is gold, not plated, nice. I would clean out the site that you found that at looking for the rest of that watch, thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is very similar to picture including placement of holes. I do not believe it is gold What was this inner lids purpose. Nitric, you might be right as this was the only piece around. Any idea of timeline?

It's purpose is a dust cover for the movement(mechanical parts inside). The holes were where you stuck a key in. To set hands in center, and to wind in the outer hole. It's just a dust cover! Cool find though! I wouldn't know date, just by quick guess? Mid to late 1800's maybe a little earlier, I'm not real good at dating. just about!

The little tiny holes might have been(pretty sure they are) the rivet holes for the hinge. That might be why it fell off too! Or the whole thing is buried!! Waiting for you to find it!

I don't believe it is Gold. But have it checked to be sure, and that way you will know! If you stick it to tour face and it feels cold after a few seconds it's not gold. Not a proof positive test, but does work. Gold absorbs heat, and warms up fast!

Smell it too! If it smells like gold? It is! :laughing7: Not serious!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gold filled 1/20 at best

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I believe it is not gold but as Bigfoot thought only filled. Still trying to date this piece.

Upvote 0
Any idea of timeline?

Don't know about Europe but key wound and set watches were out of favor in the US by the 1870's. Though likely they were still in use so long as they ran. I used to work with a guy who always carried antique Hamilton watches . . . just because he liked them.

That company is still in business - you could try contacting them to see if the serial is traceable.

CHARLES OUDIN PARIS - CHARLES OUDIN WATCHES PARIS

CONTACT - CHARLES OUDIN PARIS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Charlie. Sent company email. Will post if they come back with any new info.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back