Artee

Greenie
May 17, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this brass item at and old farmhouse location, probably from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Not sure of it's exact purpose... maybe a hook for hanging a coat or some kind of cabinet pull hardware...dunno???

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpg

It looks to me very much in the Eastlake style of Victorian hardware, around the 1880's as you suggested.
It's very similar to a window pull in that style, but not quite exact, so I'll look a bit more.

Upvote 0
I'm leaning towards it being some sort of pull hardware, also.

Upvote 0
It just seems up-side-down for that. Usually on a drawer pull (or sliding shelf) the hook would curve down, not up. If you flipped it over, the design would be covered. The tapered holes would also indicate that surface faces out. The last photos make me believe it was mounted like that and that the curved end was used as a bearing surface for a bar or pipe. Maybe something hinged on it and/or hung down from there. One photo shows what looks to be a bit of wear on that curve section. Maybe a close-up would confirm that?

Upvote 0
Im betting its a Window Sash, used to raise the window. I found one a few weeks back and couldnt figure it out until someone on here lead me the right direction

Upvote 0
Im betting its a Window Sash, used to raise the window. I found one a few weeks back and couldnt figure it out until someone on here lead me the right direction
Do you have a sample photo of another one that is still mounted on the sash? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it still seems like it would up-side-down for that application too. The sash hardware I've seen mounted flat on the lower wood and didn't go around a corner. What edge would the extra tab bolt to? If on the bottom edge of the sash, it would interfere with the sill and possibly the molding. The other way it would hit the glass and glazing. You think maybe the top piece of wood on the lower sash? Where the latch usually is? I'm not sure I'd want to lift on that. You'd have to be pretty tall to lift the sash all the way to the top in some applications.

Upvote 0
Not sure what it is but I don't think it is a window sash lift. They usually have two screws on the front and a different shape.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that I saw something like this on old wooden tilting hardware store bins.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that I saw something like this on old wooden tilting hardware store bins.

I can remember a potato storage bin built into the kitchen cabinets at my grandmothers home. Could have been on something like that, though the top edge of the bin would have to have been notched to accommodate..... doesn't seem logical for this IMO

potatobin.jpg

Upvote 0
Seems a bit fancy for a commercial application like that but :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back