Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Abilene, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II, Garrett AT Pro, Looking to purchase
the Manticore!!!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, was out of town last week, so couldn't get back to the site. Went today and took some pics of the place and will try and see if I can post tomorrow or wednesday. Took two sections of 12 foot pvc pipe with me (3/4in) and marked the first pole every foot . When I got there, put them together and then proceeded to push it down into the water. Remember the water is clear to about 3-4 foot or so and then mud. At the 4ft mark, the bottom tip of the pole touched the mud layer. I slowly pushed it downward and it easily gave away releasing lots of bubbles, but surprisingly, didn't stir up the water that much....it settled quickly. When I hit the bottom, the top of the first pole was 3 feet out of the water. Therefore, with 3 feet above water and 4 feet from top of water to mud....the mud must be about 4 to 5 feet thick. It has the consistancy of real thick oatmeal, but when I hit bottom, I could easily tell that it was bottom by tamping it up and down. From it's feel, the bottom is rather firm, like clay, and probably has a depth of 2-3 inches of softness. Therefore, I'm figuring that anything heavy (as in jewelry, rings, etc) will be in that 2-3 inch layer.....and it is reachable!! Two weeks ago, I purchased a sand scoop from ZEKE on this forum and had it shipped to Florida, as I plan to visit home for 2 weeks in December. Wouldn't you know I need the thing here now!! I shall have to send for it.

My next plan is to attach two sections of 3/4in aluminum pipe to the handle of the scoop and see if I can force the scoop to the bottom and drag it along, filling it with bottom mud. Washing it out in the water should make it easy to assess whether this method will be successful. Thanks to all of your suggestions and thoughts, I believe I will have to agree, that as soon as anyone gets on to what I am trying to do.....sure as shooting, the city is going to think that it is missing something and will probably put an end to it all. So, the least said the better for now. After all, I have already told the museum folks that we are out there searching with detectors and they wished us luck and said there have been many over the years ahead of us. Funny, that no one has tried the water area before. I've got to get those pics up to stir some more ideas. Believe me, I doubt anyone will be able to identify the place from my photos.....and I'm not trying to tell the world about this place. However, it does make a good story and adventure and if I get something....it will really be great!!! If I get found out.......nothing ventured, nothing gained. Till tomorrow gang......

Upvote 0
Too many words & no pics >:(

Good luck!

HH

Lonewolfe

try a gold dredge.....with a screen basket at the end to catch the coins rings etc.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back