Homemade? 1883 Silver Dollar/Brass pendent?

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homemade? 1883 Silver Dollar/Brass pendent? UPDATE!

Hey everyone -

This has me puzzled, and hoping I can get some input on what you think of it.

To me it looks like someone cored a Silver dollar kinda off side and soldered in a 3d bust - lettering on the dollar looks right and has reeded rim - some silver looking metal on the back, otherwise looks bronzed. tourist item? Homemade? Coated? Silver up here has always come out looking shiny, so just don't know.

Thanks for any thoughts or info!

Silver dollar bust 01 - Copy.jpgSilver dollar bust 02.jpgSilver dollar bust 03.jpgSilver dollar bust 04.jpgSilver dollar bust 05.jpgSilver dollar bust 06.jpg

Update!

First, had a awesome time on our mini vacation - 4 days to MD to my hearts content a older fishing/camping site while my partner in crime played with his mobile ham rig in our little RV.

Plenty of pull tabs, bottle caps, fishing lead and clad - then I pulled the pendent I posted here.

Sorry to say, after research here at home I believe that this is a cast replica. :BangHead:

This discussion on Coin talk was very informative - https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pop-out-morgan-dollar-authentic-or-not.258903/

Armed with a good scale and loupe it is too light in weight, there is material splash, leftover varnish on back, red spots in patina. Also air tested at 55-56 on ATPro. Maybe there was some can slaw near enough to give me the jumpy tone I dug.

So, my best guess is a white metal cast, brass plated and coated with some form of varnish so it would look like gold and not tarnish. But it's a nice casting and something different!

Live learn and laugh!

Last edited:
I think with the head coming out like that they are called pop out coins or pop out coin pendants. Not sure what it's made of but I'll poke around to see how close I can get to yours. Nice find!

Upvote 0
I believe they call them pop-outs. I would luv to find one someday!!! CONGRATZ..

Upvote 0
Wow! You nailed it with Pop-out coin! I found this has been discussed on Tnet in the past after googling.

So this is like the old penny press machines, but they used silver Dollars (and other coins)?

Process make it go dark? I also read some ladies had them gold plated -

Happy!

Upvote 0
very cool repousse punched coin. first time I've seen a silver dollar used, most I've seen are dimes or quarters. what an awesome find!

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the kudos and info, it's been a eye opener! The previous threads on these was very helpful, and I will continue research. Read somewhere that some were pressed with extra metal to add thickness to finale product. Also why is it dark in color?

FYI - Dug today w/ ATpro, high but jumpy tones, 3".

Can I record this as my first silver dollar dug? :)

Regards - Molewacker

Upvote 0
I've seen those in coin shops, estate jewelry and antique shops. I recall seeing dimes, quarters and half dollars, but not one of a silver dollar. It's a very recognizable piece to collectors of Art Nouveau jewelry.. That's a nice item and like the patina:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would guess it to be light fire damage, like what it could suffer in burning household trash, or possibly fertilizer damage

Thanks for the thoughts Jewelerguy - Still new at dug stuff and what happens to them in the dirt. (I got zincons down though) :)

This was found in a old Fishing campground, so fire or fertilizer would make sense - I know folks don't clean items often, but considering it so I can wear it. May have to post on the cleaning/preservation board for ideas.

Upvote 0
Never knew these existed... very, very cool find!

Upvote 0
I know folks don't clean items often, but considering it so I can wear it. May have to post on the cleaning/preservation board for ideas.

I wouldn't hesitate to clean/polish it and wear it. It's an awesome find and needs to be enjoyed. Too many cool finds just get stuck in a box or drawer and forgotten. If you wore it, it would certainly be a conversation starter and would probably lead to people inviting you to detect their property

Upvote 0
Hey everyone - I have updated my first post after digging a bit deeper - pretty sure it's a replica -

Still, thanks for the kind comments on this, though it wasn't what it seemed

Upvote 0
even if its not silver, its still a cool piece
maybe you can chrome dip it, if you want it to shine and still wear it
youtube has vids on DIY chrome dips

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back