Tango Kilo

Jul 1, 2013
Summerfield, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this today at about 6"inches. My heart was pounding because I thought it was a cannonball. But not in reality. This steel ball is hollow yet it weighs about 10-12 pounds and is 8" inches in diameter. It appears to be joined in halves and has three (3) broken tabs where something was attached. Sorry for the bad photos but I only had my cell phone with me. Would sure like to know what it is (was).
House site and property dates back to 1850. Cemetery in the woods with apprx. 40 graves, many of which are slave graves.

Attachments

• Ball1.jpg
    Ball1.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 102
  • Ball2.jpg
    Ball2.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 94
Cool Find, Just Want to Comment It easier to follow Posts That Way!!! Chug I'm Sure the People Here Will Help You Out With An ID

Upvote 0
It is an Ornamental-Ironwork ball. In this specific case, it is what we cannonball collectors call a "monument-ball"... a lighter-weight hollow reproduction of a cannonball made for use on various kinds of monuments. You'll see them on old battlefield monuments and also on cemetery monuments. The small high-raised bumps on that one are weld-spots where it was connected to a mounting framework. I've seen many of them during my decades as a xannonball collector and dealer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back