Hollow glass tube with slider

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I found this today while detecting at a site where 3 1890s-1920s houses were demolished. I found some old relics and I came across this glass tube. It has a slider inside and I have no idea as to what it is. One side of the slider is flat with a crosshatch pattern on it. The other side of the slider has a peg that fits into the hole at the stubby end of the tube

Any ideas? Is it a valve of some kind?

Attachments

• Finds_Sept_5_2007_Glass_Tube.jpg
    Finds_Sept_5_2007_Glass_Tube.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 641
I'm gonna take a couple SWAGs at it, but they are strictly guesses...

Sight glass for a steam boiler (thought I've not seen one like that).

Some sort of oil/moisture seperator.

A tweakers crackpipe ;D

Smitty

Upvote 0
Hi, my first thought is hydrometer

Attachments

• hydrometer.jpg
    hydrometer.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0
How big is it?

My first thought was the tube for a mercury switch.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Or maybe an applicator for giving medicine to farm animals ?

Upvote 0
Tube used to administer ememas. Sorry for the lack of a photo...

Upvote 0
Houses that are vacant for some time are used alot by people who use drugs. How deep was the item? If it was shallow, I think i might agree with Indiana smith. Crack pipe. Were these houses vacant before they were torn down?

Upvote 0
back in the late 1800s early 1900s they made their own home remedies as well as perfumes wasnt uncommon to have a slew of chemestry stuff i found a box load in the old home they were tearing down for a new overpass the home was mid to almost late 1800s

Upvote 0
Definetly not a crack pipe, they use screens in them. Looks like an old syringe w/o the plunger assembly. You could sell them as crack pipes though. Advertise them as "antique crack pipes". What junkie wouldnt want one of those!

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a glass syringe, more likrly to be someother bit of chemistry bob and likely a hydormeter or similar as mentoned before.

Upvote 0
Very similar to the Novocaine vials that the dentist loads into his BIG needle to deaden you before he tortures you. M :o nty

Upvote 0
I have a guess. I saw something very similar to this when we cleaned out my great grandmothers house. It was packed with menthol and was used to inhale the fumes (decongestant) by placing the smaller end with the hole up one nostril while pinching the other, and then taking a deep breath. In fact it looks just like it without the label. I will see if I can find a pic on the internet. Heres an old advertisement for the thing.

Unfortuneatly I can't find any pics of it. I am almost positive thats what this thing is.

Attachments

• Menthol%20_Inhaler_Cushmans_Catarrh_Neuralgia_Headache.jpg
    Menthol%20_Inhaler_Cushmans_Catarrh_Neuralgia_Headache.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
If it's what I think it is, the rubber stopper inside is pushed forward by the syringe and the anesthetic is force out the other end and out through the needle. Monty

Upvote 0
your right on the part for a hydrometer, i work as a lab tech and we have some preatty old equipment in the lab i work for and i have see that piece before

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back