Holes in Coins

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several 1850's three cent coins that had two holes in the middle like a button.
They were found in an area that was mined for gold in the late 1850's to 1880's

I have wondered if they were used as buttons or if perhaps someone sewed them into the inside of their clothing for safe keeping?

3 cents wasn't really that much money during the gold rush days....they were spending gold...

I was kind of thinking a mother or wife may have sewed them into their son/husband's jacket before they left for the gold fields and made them promise to write home?

Any ideas?

Possibly to attach a string or something for safe keeping. This coin is so small that it could get lost very easily in a pocket.

Upvote 0
I have a couple of Indians with the holes. I always assumed they were used for buttons. Tony

Upvote 0
I bet some coins had holes put into them to make buzzers. String was run into them and then while suspended the strings were pulled tight and let loose, back and forth to get them to spin. Have found lead discs with holes for that.

Upvote 0
I bet some coins had holes put into them to make buzzers. String was run into them and then while suspended the strings were pulled tight and let loose, back and forth to get them to spin. Have found lead discs with holes for that.

Not much of a picture. This particular coin was very worn.
I think they are all 1852 dates.

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1892.JPG

Example of how many targets it takes to find a couple good targets.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the alternative ideas. These coins were found in places where men worked. I had not pictured any kids running around these parts (other than indians).

Upvote 0
Found some too piece of lead wonder if they were n,t use to weight clothes ,and the coins were to be hide from the eye...to be safer, in those time..

Upvote 0
small silver coins with multiple holes in the center were used as buttons. I have a seated half dime that was used as a button (two hole, in the center). Larger coins (copper) were used almost exclusively as "whizzers." I have yet to see an example of a small denomination silver coin used in that way. One hole toward the rim would've indicated keeping the coin on a wire for safekeeping.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back