✅ SOLVED Hmmmmm...

dartostunic

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this interesting piece at an old farm foundation dating back to the late 17 to early 1800's. It is very heavy and is clearly handmade. There is a lifted portion at the 9 oclock position that looks like it was done purposefully. Thought it might be a belt buckle, but the back side has pins and does not appear consistent with prior buckles I have found or researched. It has ornate letters that appear to be 'J' 'O' 'P'. Seems to be more badge-like, or something that one would wear on a sash. Let me know what you think.

IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3317.jpg

Hmmmm

Agree. Horse rosette. The intertwined initials were popular in the late 19th C.

DCMatt

I have had someone else think that as well...I will also do some research on the rosette idea. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Big, beautiful rosette but the initials are only "J" and "B." May be able to research a turn of the century tack maker in your area with those initials, (assuming it was not custom made for the buyer...) Awesome find, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID help treasure hunters!

Big, beautiful rosette but the initials are only "J" and "B." May be able to research a turn of the century tack maker in your area with those initials, (assuming it was not custom made for the buyer...) Awesome find, Sub 8-)

After further research, I agree with rosette identification. The pins on the back and the size of the item are consistent with other rosettes. I will post more interesting finds soon!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back