Hi to everyone, and can I ask a question

JenniferHawkley

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2023
Upvote 2
Hi, I'm pretty new to all this and this sites been a boon with lots of info.. But I'm on overload a little bit.

Has anybody got any good ideas about a detector for beach combing, either new or used for around 600 bucks.

You folks sure have given me the bug to get out there and and do some searching..
There are many, if you want to hunt the beach you need one that can handle Salt, salt is composed of metal minerals. I would look at the Minelab Equinox 600 or 700, both are waterproof and both handle salt very well, if you are a veteran Minelab offers 15% discount through the dealers.

Check with our supporting vendors here.

There are many, if you want to hunt the beach you need one that can handle Salt, salt is composed of metal minerals. I would look at the Minelab Equinox 600 or 700, both are waterproof and both handle salt very well, if you are a veteran Minelab offers 15% discount through the dealers.

Check with our supporting vendors here.
Thank you, I will check them out..

Welcome to the greatest hobby on earth.

You also need to get a scoop with a long strong handle to sort out the finds from the gravel and sand.

They range from about $40 all the way up over $200 or more.

Get you some scuba diving booties with a hard sole to keep you feet from becoming hamburger or stepping on sharp objects.

Good luck and please post your finds.

Good luck!

Welcome to the greatest hobby on earth.

You also need to get a scoop with a long strong handle to sort out the finds from the gravel and sand.

They range from about $40 all the way up over $200 or more.

Get you some scuba diving booties with a hard sole to keep you feet from becoming hamburger or stepping on sharp objects.

Good luck and please post your finds.

Good luck!
Hey thank you, I wondered about footwear, I'll look into those boots for sure and the scoop gadget 🙂

Jennifer - There's a good chance there is a local dealer in your area where you can rent a machine and try it out before you buy. Another alternative is to find a local club - most members are happy to share and help a new hand learn the ropes.

Do you see people at your local beaches metal detecting? Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone out there on the sand.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

On the scoop, don't go cheap, they want last.

A word of advice, a scoop bought now for $200 can be sold 5 years later for $150 all day long and you end up spending $10.00 a year for a top of the line scoop. The wider the scoop the less scoops needed to retrieve a target, I use 9"-10" wide scoops.

Jennifer - There's a good chance there is a local dealer in your area where you can rent a machine and try it out before you buy. Another alternative is to find a local club - most members are happy to share and help a new hand learn the ropes.

Do you see people at your local beaches metal detecting? Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone out there on the sand.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
What great ideas, and yes I have seen people out metal detecting the coastline when I walk my dog.. They always seem so focused.
I will have a look locally for a club too..

Thank you 🥰

The minelab Exterra is in quite a few video's on YouTube and they are doing beach/fields/ and parks and brand new it runs about $270.00. Might be one to check out.

Welcome to the forum from the Florida Treasure Coast. Did not see where you are from, so some questions to help you out:
Fresh or salt water? Rocky or sand beaches? Do you have a dealer nearby?
You can check out wading boots online, or a big place like Bass Pro to try on first. The previous advice on sand scoops is right on, stainless steel, not aluminum. Old Bookaroo's advice is very sound. Dealer is usually happy for you to come back with questions and trouble shooting your machine. Hard to do that at a pawn shop or Craig's List. I'm sure you've been doing your research, so don't skip looking at the Nokta machines. If you happen to be on the Treasure Coast head down to Treasure Coast Metal Detectors and talk to Gary. Best of luck, mostly HAVE FUN.

Welcome to the forum from the Florida Treasure Coast. Did not see where you are from, so some questions to help you out:
Fresh or salt water? Rocky or sand beaches? Do you have a dealer nearby?
You can check out wading boots online, or a big place like Bass Pro to try on first. The previous advice on sand scoops is right on, stainless steel, not aluminum. Old Bookaroo's advice is very sound. Dealer is usually happy for you to come back with questions and trouble shooting your machine. Hard to do that at a pawn shop or Craig's List. I'm sure you've been doing your research, so don't skip looking at the Nokta machines. If you happen to be on the Treasure Coast head down to Treasure Coast Metal Detectors and talk to Gary. Best of luck, mostly HAVE FUN.
Sure sounds like fine advice, I will certainly research the Notka machines you recomend on the web. Our coastline here is mostly stone with sandy patches close to the shoreline, so I'm guessing salt water all the way 🙂

...Has anybody got any good ideas about a detector for beach combing, either new or used for around 600 bucks...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to BEACH AND SHALLOW WATER for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Reactions: OBN
Hi, I'm pretty new to all this and this sites been a boon with lots of info.. But I'm on overload a little bit.

Has anybody got any good ideas about a detector for beach combing, either new or used for around 600 bucks.

You folks sure have given me the bug to get out there and and do some searching..
Since you're new to detecting, I'd get a new machine so you have a guarantee and less of a chance of getting one needing repairs. In your price range, the Nokta Legend would be my choice, with an Equinox 600 right behind. As recommended, a good scoop is a must and can cost as much as the detector if you pick a top of the line one. Mares dive booties are what I like. I got a pair with a fairly hard bottom since I have rocks and shells to walk on at some of my beaches. I've had these for almost 8 years now and they're still going strong. Just wash them out with fresh water real good after every hunt. I also recommend booty socks. It makes putting them on and taking them off a lot easier. I also spray the zippers with silicone spray every now and then to they don't stick.

Since you're new to detecting, I'd get a new machine so you have a guarantee and less of a chance of getting one needing repairs. In your price range, the Nokta Legend would be my choice, with an Equinox 600 right behind. As recommended, a good scoop is a must and can cost as much as the detector if you pick a top of the line one. Mares dive booties are what I like. I got a pair with a fairly hard bottom since I have rocks and shells to walk on at some of my beaches. I've had these for almost 8 years now and they're still going strong. Just wash them out with fresh water real good after every hunt. I also recommend booty socks. It makes putting them on and taking them off a lot easier. I also spray the zippers with silicone spray every now and then to they don't stick.
Well thank you Sir, I sure get that that 😊

Welcome and wish you luck if you do join in the hobby!
Im an old school guy - i use order machines - can help with many other aspects
of the hobby - i been detecting on land and water since 1975 age 12 - but i still do good
with what i got even though health issues have slowed me down - you want some inspiration
you can look at my you tube page at CASPER METAL DETECTING

Jennifer Hawkley - I suggest you read Post #9 on this thread:

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Jennifer Hawkley - I suggest you read Post #9 on this thread:

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Well thank you all, that link was very interesting indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back