Hi fellow detecting guys and gals, Im back from the North Slope!

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA
Well, im back from the Arctic Circle. Im all done tugboating and pumping off oil products to Eskimos for a while.....hopefully two months, since iv been gone that long. It was one of the most unfun tugboat trips i have ever been on in my life. The weather was awful, we got the you know what beat out of us almost the whole time, and the crew for the most part did'nt get along at all. Lots of back stabbing and underhandedness.....plus our cook sucked. But the trip was'nt a total loss. I dont know if this counts as a find, but I think it does. While I was in this one armpit of a town called Wainewright, AK I bought a 3 foot hunk of Whale Baleen for 21 bucks. I'll post a picture as soon as I get it unpacked from my sea bag. The guy I bought it from was also going to sell me a walrus tusk for 200 bucks, but I did'nt have any way to get it home. I wish I would have bought it now though.

I also went to Nome, Kotzebue, King Cove, and Anchorage, and I ended up in Barrow. Barrow is the most northen point and city in the United States. When I left there it was 32* and the fog was freezing and dropping to the ground, which is'nt cosidered snow. It was also blowing 35 mph, which was'nt too bad, since it was normaly blowing 50 mph. Im sure glad to have gotten out of there. What a hell hole. Why anyone lives there i'll never know.

Nome was interesting. I wish I would have brought my MD. There are still alot of freelance gold miners who live there. I guess you can still make about 300 bucks a day if you work your ass off panning for gold for 16 hours a day. I am going to the ocean today with the family and bringing my MD with me. I'll be sure to post my finds when I get back, and also a pick of the Baleen. Talk to you all soon, and its nice to be back. Brad

Upvote 0
Welcome back KIXLSYD! :D Hope you find somethin good today! Sorry you didn't have a great trip though.... :'(

;)

Welcome back. Glad you you made it back safe and sound. One of my brothers was stationed in Nome in the navy in the 60's. Well, before the military prison anyway.
HH

Welcome back, Kix. I'm glad you didn't forget us all at T-net. Looking forward to some pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back