Hey Melnatcat.....".How to find that diamond earing"

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Melnatcat.....".How to find that diamond earing"

If you lost your earing outside the house you CAN find it with SOME TROUBLE.....
.Five years ago my niece called to ask if I could find her Engagement ring....................."..Sure I'll give it a try."................I was a little excited at the prospect of finding a gold ring and off I went.....
.They lived in a trailer ct. ,and the yard where she said it was lost ,,,,,,was small.........About 15 X25 feet............I concentrated on three feet either side of their walk (Here we go again with the sidewalk thing). I had my depth setting down below 2/3 capacity,so to not detect the deeper stuff .. She had lost it only about 2 weeks before... .I hunted up and back TWICE in Beach mode on my Old Garrett CX III Master Hunter Low and SLOOOW...........Didn't find it (Scratching my head......) .
Then I asked if she had anything gold in similar size ,another ring perhaps ? She dug around in her purse and said .......".....Sure......................Here is the matching Wedding Band !...".....................Duhhhhhhhh............
It was a small thin (not so expensive one) so I ran it under the coil ....It came up as a Notch # 2 1/2 to #3....Thats why I couldn't find it.....In beach mode it discriminates out all under Notch #4.................So I Notched out Everything except #2,#2 1/2,#3,and #3 1/2..............I turned the sensitivity ALL THE WAY DOWN .......and started again......Low ....& Slooow........my first 5 feet or so I found a couple foil wrappers and then I heard my first gold signal that double beep told me it was possibly a ring so I bent down to recover it with my little spade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and there it was ,,,,,you could only see it when you were on your knees looking close up.......No digging required,,I picked it up and gave it to my excited niece...........She gave me a big hug and started to cry,,,I said .....It's alright We found it,,,,it's OK
I felt like saying ( Tell your $#@ Cheapo husband to get you a bigger rock and ring but I didn't)
If I have to hunt for any item for someone I ask myself,...How Long has it been lost ? if only a couple months its pretty easy...and I will discriminate everything out but what an identical item registers + or - ...................I have been saying I have not found my first Gold Ring and I have to stand by that ................When I DO find a Gold ring that I CAN KEEP............I will GLADLY take pics and post them here.......I just hope it will be a womens ring (Don't get excited Free)..........A nice expensive ring that can be fitted to my wifes hand....Unlike the one I FOUND>> for my niece

Upvote 0
Re: Hey Melnatcat.....".How to find that diamond earing"

nicely done mcnickle! i guess that ring is not so cheap to your niece! seems like she was real jazzed to get it back!

Hey, McNickle!

Thank you very much for your advice! I was detecting someone elses yard and also my own that Sat- Sun-Mon. I am assuming it got caught on the headphones when I took them off. Maybe it was the Sun. I found the 2 IH in our yard. I am not so sure. Bought a 4 inch coil also when I bought the detector. Now did you do this with an 8 inch coil? If I take a few hours and do our yard between our sidewalk and where the pennies were, I am hoping--HOPING-- that is where it is at. But as always, there are no guarantees.

Before I detected the other yard, I took another smaller earring out and ran it under the coil (the 4 inch--didn't try with the 8) just to see what it would ring up. Gave me some idea. But after 5 hours and no earring, I had enough for the day. Maybe the weather will cooperate soon so I could go back and try again. The earring didn't cost that much, just has sentimental value. Hmmm, the Titan has notch mode...maybe it would work to notch out everything above #4! :-*

What a wonderful uncle you are to find your neices ring! Sounds like she was very grateful!

I will take your advice and try it again! There is hope after all!

THANKS MCNICKLE!!

Melnatcat

Nice story..... I love a story with a good ending ;D

Hi melnatcat, I did use an eight inch coil..but a 4 1/2 " can be used either if you can greatly reduce your search area,or if you have lots of time to search........A small coil also helps if you get loads of foil signals and trash ect....If it is a diamond stud or small like that ,it can drive you buggy...............A few more tips....Where did you take your headphones off before you noticed it was missing ?...................If the answer to that is ......At the door...and when digging some finds.......That will narrow your search quit a bit..........
As you know......you have to give your detector as little to think about as possible,so as not to dig little foil holes,,,,,ALL OVER the yards..........If you have the sister earing to put under your coil.........it will save you alot of time......If your detector has a depth finder/ pinpointer ]this will really save you time.....and.....I don't know if I would be patient enough to try it without those two musts...
Search with the coil of your choice,,,,with everything notched out except the sister earing and +and- each side of that target signal......turn your sensitivity ALL THE WAY DOWN.......I assume you have only recently lost it,,,,,,,,,,and want to search only the top one inch of soil.............That's where the Pinpointer/ Depth finder comes in.......when you get a signal and have centered the coil in pinpoint.....PUSH YOUR COIL TIGHT TO THE GROUND AND CHECK THE DEPTH READING......I would dig all signals that show up as 1/2" in depth or less.........and dig no signal that pinpoint at more than 1 " ........Lay the sister earing on a peice of paper..........and test sweep over it at different heights and speeds to see which give an optimal audio......You may find that a real slow sweep speed at about 1- 1 1/2" above gives the clearest and best signal.......Ohh yeah.......you may also need a bottle of water ,and handful of asprin.....This may take you a while.....But if you have time.....stick with it .......persistance should pay off.....Good Luck..

Hi, McNickle,

Fortunately my detector does have a depth finder and pinpointer. Unfortunately, I don't have a sister earring. A little story behind that...

When my oldest daughter got her ears pierced at 11, she was a little scared, so I said I would get another piercing to show her it was quick and not painful. Thus a second hole in my left ear. Then when the next daughter got hers done, my oldest got her second hole in the left ear, and the second daughter got her second in the left when the youngest got all three at once. Now the four of us each have 3 piercings in our ears.

Back to the earring. But I do have an earring close to that with a way smaller stone. Should ring the same, tho. I am going to print out this post and follow your directions. I searched the other yard for 5 hours with the four inch coil...that took forever, and no I didn't cover it all either. I noticed it was gone that Mon. night. So it should be in one of the two places. I won't give up (not yet anyhow!)

gotta go to church...will get back to this later!

Melnatcat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back