Hey guy after some help identifying what sort of button I have here..

TheTank

Feb 17, 2024
Hey guys found this button out detecting the other day in Southern Tasmania Australia.. not far from one of the oldest towns in Tasmania founded in the early 1800s..I took to Facebook to try figure it out but with little to no help haha .. so trying to find anyone that might know what I've got here .. I have done a bit of research all to know that it's old and maybe from some where in the 1800s other than that I know it's a flat gilt button ..unsure of what exactly what it is as it's so worn ..but it is a flat gilt button

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-16-22-54-31-79_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-16-22-54-31-79_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 5
Welcome to Tnet.

Cool button, and I believe I can see ‘SILVER & CO’ at the top with ‘CORNHILL’ at the bottom.

Silver.jpg

If I’m seeing it correctly, this will be for the company of Stephen Winkworth Silver & Co. (‘S.W. Silver & Co.’ or just ‘Silver & Co.’) formed in June 1823 after the partnership of Arrowsmith & Silver was dissolved. They were clothiers with premises in London and Liverpool, England.

Around 1827 they expanded with an outlet at Bishopsgate, London, opened workshops at Commercial Road East, London and increased the size of their Liverpool premises. Probably around then they began concentrating on clothing and ‘campaign’ furniture for the traveller, including waterproof clothing.

In the London Illustrated News of July 29, 1848 they described their 'Emmigration Outfitting being exclusively at No. 4 Bishoshopsgate Within' while 'Naval and Military Officers, Midshipmen, Cadets, Civilians, Ladies, &c. are outfitted as heretofore at the Cabin-Passenger Outfitting Warehouse, Nos. 66 and 67, Cornhill, London and St. George's Crescent, Liverpool’.

They capitalised on the need for immigration to Australia and New Zealand and the discovery of Australian gold in 1851 must have further increased their business. They boasted that they had a 'representative in every Australian Colony, to whom they ship Clothing monthly' and as they had 'a large interest to maintain in those Colonies' that they could supply 'a comfortable Outfit, including Bedding, for Male or Female Emigrants from Four Pounds (net) upwards or less (Two Pounds if needful)' to make emigrating easier’.

By 1875 the company had an 'Explorer's Room' at their Cornhill premises displaying a selection of chests and trunks etc for travellers. They had also expanded to take in 4 Sun Court, Cornhill where they had an 'office of the Colonies'.

REF: Christoper Clarke Antiques:
https://www.campaignfurniture.com/artists/sw-silver

Hey guys found this button out detecting the other day in Southern Tasmania Australia.. not far from one of the oldest towns in Tasmania founded in the early 1800s..I took to Facebook to try figure it out but with little to no help haha .. so trying to find anyone that might know what I've got here .. I have done a bit of research all to know that it's old and maybe from some where in the 1800s other than that I know it's a flat gilt button ..unsure of what exactly what it is as it's so worn ..but it is a flat gilt button
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back