heres a photo of nice silver gorget found in 1982 my brother and I.

jeffwhite35

Nov 17, 2013
central alabama
Detector(s) used
garrett
minelab
terso
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This piece has the touchmark on it it was made in London, 1758-1759 no makers mark just the loin passant for sterling the C as date letter the style of the date letter and the sovereign's head as the duty mark .silver brooches and beads in case were found with it as was the iron item, no sure what the one piece is maybe one of you can help identify it

Attachments

• silver gorget 2.jpg
    silver gorget 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 263
  • silver gorget.jpg
    silver gorget.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 296
  • silver gorget 3assorted items.jpg
    silver gorget 3assorted items.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
This piece has the touchmark on it it was made in London, 1758-1759 no makers mark just the loin passant for sterling the C as date letter the style of the date letter and the sovereign's head as the duty mark .silver brooches and beads in case were found with it as was the iron item, no sure what the one piece is maybe one of you can help identify it

What you have there is an English breast piece, we loved these as they were normally only worn by high ranking Warriors once acquired and the dates are about right.

Those are really nice gorgets and ring brooches. Love the barley corn beads, too.

In the SE, there was no ranking system of who could wear gorgets. It all depended if you could afford one or not. The Creeks, along with other related tribes within the Confederacy mainly traded with the French at Ft. Toulouse (est. 1717) in Elmore County during that time, but also accepted gifts from the English, Spanish and Americans.

Here in the Midwest they must not have been too highly regarded, as they cut them up to make triangles................

Iowa Dale

Yeah, I've seen a lot of triangles down South and out here, too, that were made into other ornaments. Even "silver arrowheads" according to one soldier during the Seminole wars. Those were probably cone-shaped, I bet. One triangle earring from Mississippi has an Indian carrying a large fish over his shoulder. There was no scale with it, but it looked to be about an inch wide at the bottom.

LRH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back