Here is an example of why lying and being dishonest never pays off...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been buying an selling for many years, and have always believed that lying and trying to deceive a seller is not only morally wrong, but also bad for business.

I've been dealing in all types of tools since I started this business of horse trading, ebaying and flea marketing. One of my favorite areas is antique tools. I love buying them, using them, collecting them, and selling what I'm not interested in collecting.

I attend a ton of estate auctions, and tag sales. I often buy more tools than I can handle, so I don't mind a bit if I can quickly flip tools for a fast but small profit. I know I am giving a good deal, and leaving plenty "of meat on the bone", as they say on American Pickers. For instance, I bought a miter saw for $2, and flipped it the next day to a guy for $25. He cleaned it up, and flipped it for $80. I could care less how much he made; I owned the saw for less than 8 hours and only touched it once.

As well, my attitude is that if I can make a little profit, and you can take it to a specialty market that I don't deal in and make some money too, we are both happy.

Several years ago, I met up with a wanna-be carpenter, who also likes to buy and sell old tools. The first few deals were fairly straight up, and I don't feel like he lied to me too much.

But then, he started telling lies about what he wanted, and how "I really, really, really need that for my business" about some of the various tools I had hauled home from different auctions. The lies and bull hockey grew into "that ain't worth much, look at the rust" and "the bottom fell out of the market on those".

In actuality, those lies about "needing" something for his carpentry business were actually "I need that (to resell at an astounding price)". He must have imagined that I don't ebay myself, and must have concluded that I was too dumb to check the completed listings even if I did.

In short, this guy got a good deal on two miter saws and some miscellaneous other tools that I had. But I no longer offered killer deals when the lies started...and I found out later that he lied about a $2 saw I sold him. He flipped that saw for $50 after telling me he was going to cut it up into pieces of steel for scraper blades because the saw was worthless.

Earlier this year, I bought 10 hand saws for $1 each, and had the intention of offering them to him for $10 a piece, if he took the whole lot.

But, because of the lies he has told me, I decided to list them on ebay. There is an identical saw to one that I have that sold for $175+.

I was trying to help him be profitable in his endeavors, but in turn, he took the opportunity to tell me bald face lies and tried to deceive me about any decent tool I had to sell. When you look at the big picture, he made $200 off of me in three deals...but screwed himself out of a lifetime of money.

In my experience, 95% of the people that I buy from could care less that you are reselling something, but they just want you to be honest with them.

I still have 9 saws to look up on ebay...

Last edited:
I like your business model, you make some money and allow others too as well. I know just what you mean, I have no tolerance for people like that. I do it to goodwill, but that's just because they price everything way too high for a thrift store and let's face it they kind of deserve it for skimming the best stuff of the top and selling it online when they're supposed to be helping the community

I like your business model, you make some money and allow others too as well. I know just what you mean, I have no tolerance for people like that. I do it to goodwill, but that's just because they price everything way too high for a thrift store and let's face it they kind of deserve it for skimming the best stuff of the top and selling it online when they're supposed to be helping the community

Thanks, SFB.

I make it a personal policy to be honest with everyone, all of the time.

I feel that most people can sense when you are lying, and if that 'distrust buzzer' ever goes off in their head, you are done getting deals from them.

Of course, I don't sell everything I have to other resellers, but when I've bought 3 truck loads of stuff out of an estate and am already starting to hyperventilate about how I'm going to get all of it processed and sold, cutting out a pile of hand saws or a box of glassware to another reseller for a fast flip actually helps both of us.

FWIW, I know that old hand saws can have value, but it takes some time to clean them and some knowledge of how and where to sell them. But on the other hand, I expect to be treated honestly when I am cutting a killer deal so he can line his pockets with a pile of cash.

Lie to me and try to deceive me = getting cut off from a steady supply forever.

Sounds like the guy made a big mistake.

Nice to hear there's another guy on here that appreciates old hand tools. I've always been a power tool woodworker myself. Then I recently came across this video - YouTube

After watching some of his other videos I've been inspired to go power free when I can. I'm now on the lookout for old tools to restore so I can expand my capabilities. My dream is to be able to hand cut the logs I'll be using for beams, mantels, and headers in a house I'm building next year. Where do you have the most luck finding your gand tools? I've mostly just found overpriced ones or junk after several months of scouring CL and garage sales.

Sounds like the guy made a big mistake.

Nice to hear there's another guy on here that appreciates old hand tools. I've always been a power tool woodworker myself. Then I recently came across this video - YouTube

After watching some of his other videos I've been inspired to go power free when I can. I'm now on the lookout for old tools to restore so I can expand my capabilities. My dream is to be able to hand cut the logs I'll be using for beams, mantels, and headers in a house I'm building next year. Where do you have the most luck finding your gand tools? I've mostly just found overpriced ones or junk after several months of scouring CL and garage sales.

I've been fortunate enough to buy truck loads of antique tools, mostly from auctions. Some come from estate tag sales, and some are found at flea markets.

The great thing is that most people want new tools, which means that I've found most of my stuff on the cheap.

You should strongly consider joining the MWTCA, and attend the local meets. You'll find TONS of user grade antique tools at more than affordable prices at the meets. Sure, you'll see $1,800 planes, and $300 braces, but you'll also find $2 Stanley braces and $5 chisels.

When you go to the meets, tell them you are new or newer to the hobby, and many of these guys will cut you deals like you wouldn't believe. They'll also teach you new tricks of the trade, and help you learn to be a better woodworker. These shows most often feature a speaker or a how-to session that lasts about an hour...and I've have learned a bunch from those.

If you can attend the meets, joining the MWTCA might be the best $25 you've ever spent.

Your also like myself . If I can make a decent profit on a item I paid less for (like if I got $5 invested) and I sell it for $30 (even if it's worth more) I could care less what the buyer resells it for afterwards .
But I don't like it when I'm told it's scrap and will be junked to later find out it was resold ... that's total BULL .
I once sold a old truck to a friend from work for parts for $100 because he had the exact same truck that needed a windshield . Three days later I was gassing up and a stranger pulled up with my old truck . I asked him where he got it and it turned out he lived next door to my so called friend in need from work and he sold it for $300 ... never again ! Woodstock

Well I can say you don't sound like me because the last thing I want to do is to leave any meat on the bone. :) That's not to say I haven't moved stuff that I knew was going to be resold, because I have, but I did so at a good profit and a price that I knew was already high to begin with.

Thanks for the advice Clovis. I'll have to see if they have any meets in the NC area. It looks like I missed my local one by a few weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back