Here in ohio

I can't give you specifics, but southern Ohio was very active in assembling and training Union troops that were sent south and also down the Ohio River to defend the Kanawha River valley and ended up at the Battle of Gauley Bridge in West Virginia. There is a multitude of websites about the history that cover the areas and Google will get you about anything you want to know.
If you run across things like letters home from the soldiers, a lot of times you can find better descriptions of actual locations than the history books provide.

as corklabus stated there were dozens of Ohio regiments assembled and trained to be sent south. With a little research you can find these camp grounds. Long term camp grounds usually return more relics than battle sites because they were used over and over for years by thousands of men. Men camped every day but only did battle occasionally. If you can find the practice range you could find many spent bullets. Trash pits are good places to search for relics.A couple of books I may suggest to you are chocked full of good info. They are:"Interpreting History from Relics Found at Civil War Camp Sites" and "Finding Civil War Campsites in Rural Areas" (Poche Associates). Hope this helps you some. GLKUP

Thanks everybody so far I think the info is really going to help me and thanks Just-geese I got your pm I am going to try to find out about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back