HElp with very cool roman coin

ivobg

Jun 20, 2013
Forgot
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i spent 4 hours searching the coin on wild wins but nothing its in very good condition if you compare it to the other roman coins on the net 2013-10-30 19.27.04.jpg2013-10-30 19.27.23.jpg

The lion is lovely, very good looking coin.

I will get Dad on the case, but my first impression is that its Probus.

Upvote 0
Crusader hits the mark with Probus. I can't find an exact match. This one is close but "bust right".

pro255.jpg
RIC 612a, C 447 Antoninianus Obv: IMPCMAVRPROBVSPFAVG - Radiate, draped bust right.
Rev: PMTRIPCOSIIPP Exe: XXI
off.gif
- Lion advancing left; bull's head to left. 281 (Siscia).

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Crusader hits the mark with Probus. I can't find an exact match. This one is close but "bust right".

View attachment 890638
RIC 612a, C 447 Antoninianus Obv: IMPCMAVRPROBVSPFAVG - Radiate, draped bust right.
off.gif

DCMatt

very close but its not anyway thank for the time:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

View attachment 890638
off.gif

DCMatt

The reverse type is spot on. The Obverse picture doesn't match the correct legend you quote - ie. IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG.Also the bust looks to be wearing imperial mantle and holding sceptre. Dad will find it in RIC or it might get more interesting.

Upvote 0
The reverse type is spot on. The Obverse picture doesn't match the correct legend you quote - ie. IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG.Also the bust looks to be wearing imperial mantle and holding sceptre. Dad will find it in RIC or it might get more interesting.

im very exited

Upvote 0
The answer from Dad:

The coin is PROBUS circa AD278 and is listed in RIC VOL V Part II as No 611 with the XXIS in the exergue making it a SISCIA mint.
Obverse should read IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG Radiate bust left in imperial mantle holding sceptre surmounted by eagle.
Reverse should read P M TRI P COS II PP Lion walking left with an Ox head before him. There may be a star above.
This type of coin is classed by RIC as a common Billon Antoninianus with value at VF $65 EF $150 in Sears Vol III 2005.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back