Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this guy a few weeks ago at my 1800's farm site outside of pittsburgh

It looks identical to a wj Davis token I found a while back. Same size and same markings around the edge

No markings on the back. Any other info on it such as which business it was made for?

The token marked bkw is the token I found before made by wj Davis

The token I am asking for info is the RDS token

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 68
Bob--"Initials only" mavericks are tough to positively attribute. If your R.D.S. one was made by Davis (could well be, but that is not positive), and since you found it near there, then the hunt needs to be concentrated in the Pittsburgh area. There are a lot of online Pittsburgh city directories - Pittsburgh - but it is a very tedious task to go through them looking for somebody with the right initials in a business that would have used tokens. As is stated on tokencatalog.com, "W.J. Davis, was a maker of stencils & brass checks. He was located at Diamond Market in Pittsburgh PA from 1881 through 1889 (and maybe longer)." That narrows down the date range to check. If you have access to the physical directories at a library, it may be easier to thumb through them, but nowadays most libraries don't like to expose their fragile references to handling if they have been scanned and put online.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back