Help with this letter Pin

D Merc

Greenie
Aug 20, 2009
My father found this letter at an old cellar hole... Could it be military insignia???? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
PIC_0154.JPG PIC_0156.JPG PIC_0158.JPG

It looks too heavy for a uniform item or hat badge. The fastener looks like it would be nailed into wood.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say, it is definitely not a Military insignia. I've seen various specimens of those large (1.5-to-2-inches tall) solid-cast brass letters, having 1/2"-long thin pin/spike on the back, for attachment to whatever they were mounted on. As DC Matt mentioned, the pin/spike may have been for nailing into wood ...or for attaching to thick leather. Somebody told me they've been found on very-old telegraph/telephone poles, and somebody else recently suggested here in the What-Is-It forum that these large solid-cast brass letters were from antique horse-harness leather.

Upvote 0
Cannonballguy the horse harness leather idea does make sense, I have found several bells that would have went on a horse harness at this particular cellar hole. Thanks :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back