Tlh325

Jun 5, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
at pro
gpx4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my dad found this yesterday at an old school house, occupied by the union army. I can't find anything about it. Any help would be appreciated.

uploadfromtaptalk1465171204516.jpguploadfromtaptalk1465171210133.jpg

Could you post a better/clearer photo of the back.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
looking at the OP's find and the link that kcm posted, I personally don't think it is military. If it is, those are funky looking cannons. They look more like batons to me. My opinion is that it is from perhaps a band uniform, or a civilian coat or jacket and is intended to mimic a military style

Upvote 0
I've looked, I saw that waterbury button company looks to make them, I just don't know how old it is,bit looks old, the back is completely deteriorated, it was found at an Academy built in 1859. It's been hunted pretty hard. That was really the only thing we found. We were just wondering about it.

Upvote 0
I've looked, I saw that waterbury button company looks to make them, I just don't know how old it is,bit looks old, the back is completely deteriorated, it was found at an Academy built in 1859. It's been hunted pretty hard. That was really the only thing we found. We were just wondering about it.
Yes its listed by Waterbury as a fashion button so its not military. Crossed Cannons - Waterbury Button

Waterbury has been making buttons since 1812. Yours appears to be a 2 piece button. Is the back rusted away? If the back was steel, its most likely 20th century.

button crossed cannons.jpg

You will get a much better photo using a colored background like blue or green and using outside natural lighting. Watch your shadows. Cloudy day is best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back