✅ SOLVED Help with photo

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked up stuff for awhile can't find anything on pic....,.I put one part under the loop and the guys are holding a sign that says electric switch? ........ The pic is labeled high st Columbus Ohio October 10 1923 front and back........ The pic is real and has stamp bottom corner says nice gold or something ........... Not sure why they would label street and date but not the event lol

Something to do with President Hardings passing 2 months earlier?

Upvote 0
What would electric switch mean

Upvote 0
What would electric switch mean

I was wondering that too. I wonder if back then if companies supported causes and maybe carried their advertisements or names to show there support for what ever it was. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Good point....... At the store there you could by a damn coat for 5 10 or 25 cents 25 must be the rich folks coat

Upvote 0
Here's something else I found from that date. People were alot more patriotic back then and just maybe they had a celebration for this? This was a big deal in those days! In an basement of a house near akron ohio(my dads house), there is a blimp painted on the wall with a year can't remember the year and too late to call and ask.:laughing7:. Because my grandparents worked on the first blimps. So, it was a big thing in that era. Just a wild guess and kind of cool history for the date. May not have anything to do with the picture. :dontknow:

The Columbus Historical society may even be able to help you. I would imagine there is one.

USS Shenandoah

Upvote 0
I think it could be this event. But I don't know what the Electric Switch sign is for.

Attachments

• ColumbusParade.jpg
    ColumbusParade.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
I think it could be this event. But I don't know what the Electric Switch sign is for.

I think you nailed it! it says will march in parade. So, I'm still guessing that was an advertising sign. And the picture looks military. To there could have been thousands more than just the Knights Templar? Just taking guess's. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are banners with crosses and names labeled at the top but can't make out any names

Upvote 0

I believe the Electric Switch sign is an overhead sign hanging from the lines that power the streetcars.

All those musicians are busy playing instruments. No one is carrying a sign.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Just for grins I looked for the location of this photo. It was taken at the intersection of S. High & E. State St. The prominent building in the shot is Baker's Art Gallery. Among the client's of Baker's was American entertainment icon Annie Oakley.

2012_0730_907oakley123_large.jpg

Upvote 0
This was the description of the same parade two years earlier: "STATE CONVENTION OF TEMPLARS ENDS Columbus, O., Oct. 9, CU.PJ The white - plumed Knight Templars concluded their annual state convention after a stately two - hour parade through downtown Columbus. Attired In the riigniried black uniforms, white - plumed chapeaux and gold - colored swords of their order, 5,000 knights marched in the parade yesterday. Contrasting color was given by some 20 bands from Ohio high schools and Masonic units. The parade, reviewed by Governor Bricker, Grand Commander J. Wallace Cherry of Columbus and other dignitaries, was climaxed by a massed band formation which played 'Onward Christian Soldiers" and "The Star Spangled Banner."
Source:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/47332274/
Don......

Upvote 0
That is an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also to Bramblefind for figuring it out.

Upvote 0
There are banners with crosses and names labeled at the top but can't make out any names

The banners might simply announce the names of the individual Knights Templar local chapters (apparently, they are called "commanderies", but I'm not 100% sure about that.)
It's a guess. I couldn't make out any of the text either.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back