JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get a permission on a neighbors almond orchard.(not an easy task for me) I used old maps and found there was I think an old barn and good sized house there but I can't figure out how to figure out exactly where. The land owner had no idea they even existed but maps show they did. I got frustrated trying to figure out the exact location. Anyone know how to do so? Screenshot_20210419-092327_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210419-092343_Chrome.jpg

Use the lat and lon at the bottom left of the screen when you hover over the top of what you are seeing. Then place those into Google Earth to see where it's at today. Also, a handheld GPS, or smartphone, can help you get there as well.

I use ONX Hunt on my phone and plug in the lat lon and it will pinpoint my target area.

Upvote 0
Use the lat and lon at the bottom left of the screen when you hover over the top of what you are seeing. Then place those into Google Earth to see where it's at today. Also, a handheld GPS, or smartphone, can help you get there as well.

I use ONX Hunt on my phone and plug in the lat lon and it will pinpoint my target area.
Thank you I didn't know that I will try that

Upvote 0
Please note that some older aerial photos are not georeferenced. Depending on the error using GPS should still get you in the right general area. Once there look for any building debris above ground and stressed grass. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Please note that some older aerial photos are not georeferenced. Depending on the error using GPS should still get you in the right general area. Once there look for any building debris above ground and stressed grass. Good luck.
Yeah I noticed that wasn't quite correct but close. Once I started finding things relevant I marked them with sticks and a general picture of where the house once was started to show

Upvote 0
That's a good image and the lane running by the house is likely the same lane in the old image. Turn up the iron bias and you should quickly find them.

Upvote 0
In my own areas of the world I use the historical mapping systems as:https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/Images/Maps/TownshipMaps/sto-m-matilda.jpg
and Google Earth.
Use things that don't change like a cemetery/church, river/streams, to get the general bearings.
If you have the site figured out that it sits an X distance from a landmark, find the same landmark is on Google earth, do a measurement if the screen size is the same.
Overlays work great if both will allow such to work.
But the trusted MM on a ruler finds it every time.
Usually I can park walk onto the site and find the scatter within 50ft of where it was thought I mapped out.
You're in Cal. I'm in Canada but mapping is the same.

Upvote 0
Try this website:

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/

They have historic topographical maps of your area. Some of them show locations of buildings.

Click "View & Download", then type in the address or county in the search box.

Your tax dollars at work helping you find treasure...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congrats on getting that permission!

Upvote 0
Yeah, and if necessary you can always just download or take a screenshot and then overlay into google earth. Then correct it and get coordinates, it should bring you close. Good luck.

Upvote 0
All good advise, but looking how close you could get with landmarks like roads, it should only take about 30 mins to find the iron patch.

Upvote 0
All good advise, but looking how close you could get with landmarks like roads, it should only take about 30 mins to find the iron patch.
Yeah I used the iron patches to get an idea and left markers to get a general idea. I hit the site hard but just came up with 3 wheat pennies and junk in the end. Best find was the military officers hat badge, and the silver coin. I spent probably 10 plus hours out there over a few days. There are trash pits out there as I found a few on accident with old stuff in the those have me curious but I don't want to dig big holes in an almond orchard that causes havok with harvesting.

Upvote 0
Old trash pits might mean old bottles could be hanging close by
The bit the the owner dug up when planting a new tree had lots of broken pottery and bottles there is a chance some are down there. I don't want to pit the ground by digging big holes. It makes harvest hard with almonds. The blowers can't blow they out of the pits. I wish I could dig as there seems to be some promise of old bottle being down low

Upvote 0
When my dad was still alive, he had small holes on hilltops where buildings used to be. I found small shingle nails on two sides, thus knew which way the house was built.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back