Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• _20170206_144134.JPG
    _20170206_144134.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 97
I dunno thats a rough one

Upvote 0
It appears to be either a King George II copper or a King George III copper due to what appears to be the "I" marks at the top right. Real nice find either way! Colonial coins are always great to find!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Man those come up a scary amount in VT...I've found four total this year.

Upvote 0
Looking at the photo more closely it sort of resembles a William and Mary. I don't know why but, there are a few things that make me think it's a William and Mary :dontknow:
This is the photo I compared your coin to:
fa94.jpg

The thing that jumped out at me in the beginning was the two lines at the top of the coin. It could also be the "ET" in the wording "Gvlielmvs et Maria"
I also noticed the shape of what appears to be a head on the coin, with the lines which could be hair ties, which closely resembles a William and Mary.
Lastly I noticed the last 2 letters on your coin, which appear to be "IA" as in "Maria"

This is just what I noticed.
I don't know if it is or isn't a W&M but what ever it is, it's pretty cool!

Upvote 0
Looking at the photo more closely it sort of resembles a William and Mary. I don't know why but, there are a few things that make me think it's a William and Mary :dontknow:
View attachment 1412109

The thing that jumped out at me in the beginning was the two lines at the top of the coin. It could also be the "ET" in the wording "Gvlielmvs et Maria"
I also noticed the shape of what appears to be a head on the coin, with the lines which could be hair ties, which closely resembles a William and Mary.
Lastly I noticed the last 2 letters on your coin, which appear to be "IA" as in "Maria"

Holy cow good eyes, the line on the coin is even in proper place where the heads are separated by relief!

Upvote 0
View attachment 1412109

You could be right, I've dug a lot of old coppers but something about this one is different. Thanks for your input

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back