• 59A24402-ADC6-4ACD-A4BC-EBF573A1DDD8.jpeg
    59A24402-ADC6-4ACD-A4BC-EBF573A1DDD8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 00711FAB-1789-4FAB-BB58-D95D769FBDFC.jpeg
    00711FAB-1789-4FAB-BB58-D95D769FBDFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Nice find! To me it looks copper, could have been silver plate

Upvote 0
silver will tarnished black. I’ve found many old spoons similar to that. Generally a silver spoon will be thicker too.

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard HappyGoLucky! Take a look at Forum: Kentucky for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0
Turn the spoon over and read the small portion of the handle, It should tell you what you have. Good luck

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet Happygolucky! :hello:

Some folks think of cutlery finds as just another bit of brass destined for the scrap bucket.
But when I find a piece of antique cutlery, I think of it as a personal item that was used and cherished by the person or family who owned it. :thumbsup:
The example you found is monogrammed and that makes it special.

If you look closely on the back of your spoon, you'll likely see the makers stamp 'D&A Nevada'.
Your spoon is made of stamped brass, it likely would originally have been silver-plated and dates to around c1900.

"This firm was established in Birmingham England in the late 19th century. Their first known sterling silver hallmark was entered in Birmingham Assay Office in 1882. The founders were Thomas Henry Daniel (died 1897) and Thomas Richard Arter (died c. 1915) and were active at Globe Nevada Silver Works, Highgate Street, Birmingham as makers of brass, nickel-silver and electro-plated spoons, forks and ladles in 1892). The company also had a London showroom at 62 Holborn Viaduct (until 1896) and later at 98 Hatton Garden. In 1920 the firm was converted into a limited liability company and became Daniel & Arter Ltd. The business was closed in the 1930s and their dies were purchased by W.J. Baker & Sons Ltd. The main activity of the firm was the manufacture of a wide array of silverplate flatware and holloware marketed under the trade name of ‘Nevada Silver’."

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome Happy and congrats! Nice find. Perhaps you can trace the monogram to the property owners.

Upvote 0
Very Cool to find one with a monogram...
Congrats

and​ Welcome to TreasureNet

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you all for the input and warm welcomes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back