Help with ID

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So recently these interesting objects have been turning up in the marsh around the area of 1700's summer village named "Johnsonville" outside of Fort Johnson on James Island near Chas SC. Some have basic lettering and others have pretty intricate shapes and details engraved in them, one of the pieces has what looks like a bee or wasp carved into it.. Seem to be terracotta or clay. Some type of old molds maybe?

unnamed (3).jpgunnamed (5).jpgunnamed.jpg

Any help appreciated. Hoping to find a whole one soon.

Congrats as those are incredible and historical finds! I'd definitely try to recover all of the pieces that you can! James Island used to be a former Sea Island, cotton plantation and Fort Johnson is reported (although I'm not sure if it was actually documented) to be the site where the first shot of the Civil War took place. The piece with the writing in the middle picture at the top looks like it might be part of a scripture and may have been a grave marker. That is a honey bee on that one piece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ones with letters on them are definitely not brick, the material is very light and is broken as a piece not chipped off of something thicker. I would like to find info regarding clay or terracotta being used as molds bc to my knowledge they typically were not.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back