DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am new to the site and find it awesome!
Found in an old park in Baltimore City, MD.
About the size of a quarter.
Marked with a number 1 in the center with A L U across the top. 391 at the bottom. 3 under the A. 16 under the U.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Dave

pptag1.pngpptag2.png

Last edited:
I can't prove it (yet) but I believe this is an American Longshoremen's Union pin.

VERY cool!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I think DCMatt is right. Which park was it in? As young men my brother and I both worked unloading ships in Canton. That was over 50 years ago so the memory is faded at best. Unloading Tapioca was hot dusty work even for young men. I didn't do it for very long and moved on to better things. Little brother stayed a few months longer than I did. I guess that's why he moved to Texas and bought a big Black Angus Ranch and never went near a boat again. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Is it just me or might there be a 6 and an 8 on opposite sides of the "L"?
A union pin is a good idea... It would explain all the numbers, what with local #'s and district #'s. And it sure looks like it was a pin, based on the back (unlike, say, a mailbox tag that just stays in place, which originally was along the lines of what I was thinking).
I found little online about the American Longshoremen's Union, but from what I saw it was only around from 1896-1899, based in NY, while other Longshoremen unions were more prevalent. I guess what I mean is "did they have enough chapters for their pin to be so cluttered with numbers?
Maybe the American Labor Union?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this is an American Longshoremaen's Union pin, it is a very very rare piece. There isn't much information on the internet as the organization only used that name from 1896 - 98. It was started in NYC with hopes of spreading it down the east coast. Apparently some financial fraud/tumoil forced the members to disband the ALU and incorporate as the Longshoremen's Union Protective Association.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
White Feather- Patterson Park. I have found many nice items there over the years. A lot of 1800's stuff. Some pre-1800. War of 1812 and Civil War buttons.
nhbenz- I'll have to take a better look at it when I get home from work.
DCMatt- Thank you so much for the info. I hope it is an American Longshoreman's Union pin. That would be awesome.

Upvote 0
nhbenz- nothing around the L. However, the 3 under the A is actually a B. Maybe for Baltimore?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back