✅ SOLVED Help with gold ring

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring in a farm field that has had some house on it for at least 150 years. The ring is stamped 18K (no other marks) and came out of the ground with that beautiful gold shine. My question is can anyone tell me what the inlay might be? It is dull, rough in texture and almost black with a greenish patina. The edges are not sharply demarcated, but I'm not sure if that is some of the corrosion creeping out onto the gold. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 18 K gold.jpg
    18 K gold.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Ring 2.jpg
    Ring 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 124
  • ring light.jpg
    ring light.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 139
By the look it's either 18k plated or 18k gold filled? If it was solid 18k it would not look like that. HH
BK

Upvote 0
I don't honestly know how to tell the difference. It is old and obviously a little beat-up. Some of the odd spots on time inside of the ring are lingering spots of dirt. It is that band in the middle that makes the outside look so odd. I don't know if it means anything, but the actual symbol stamped on the inside appears to be "18K=". I don't know what the = sign means, if anything.

Upvote 0
The outside band that you think was inlay was actually gold like the other part of the ring. The area that looks like inlay was worn thin from normal wear so the gold slufed off that area before the other areas. I think the mark should be 18E (Eletroplate) not 18=.

Upvote 0
The rim looks like it is corroded as well. Have it polished it will tell all But before you do run a magnet to it and see if it sticks. Lots of E plate is magnetic
I carry a magnet when I am searching gold at yard sales if it sticks its junk. Its amazing how many things that look great (and are stamped 14 18K) stick to a magnet

Cheers All

Upvote 0
Ive seen that very effect and found out this(at least for mine)

it prolly IS an 18k ring...2 tone..the center area likey a lesser carot inlay..8-12k.in some soils the copper alloy in the lower carot will tarnish green...the 18k prolly not.

a simple acid test on rim/center area should confirm two differant carots of gold...hence 2 tone and a really great look on a ring.

The tarnished areas should clean up easily with 0000 steel wool and a rouge cloth

cheers

Upvote 0
btw..just remembered this..

A couple years ago I dug a large mens signet ring.It had quite a bit of green patina on it and I just naturally figured it was gold filled or plated.It was prolly a month later when I cleaned it up...then it looked so good I had to test it.yup..10k.

remember that 12k and less is MOSTLY not gold and will tarnish/patina.also a good test kit will be your best friend in this hobby.

Upvote 0
A jeweler confirmed the ring is gold plated. She could not identify the composite inlay nor could she date the ring. Thanks to all for their help.

Upvote 0
It looks green in the photos, but in reality it is almost black.

Upvote 0
i have seen some of these rings. i believe originally the green stuff would have been a white metal design, probably rhodium plated something. even on pieces that have not been buried for decades, i have seen verdigris start to form, so that may be what is on your ring.

here is a similar type of piece from ebay.

!B9etmTgBmk~$(KGrHqN,!hkEze,dBNH!BM59f5o(hg~~0_35.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back