bridle chain1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 69
  • bridlechain2.jpg
    bridlechain2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 62
  • bridlechain3.jpg
    bridlechain3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 58
Being that I was with you when you found this I am biased toward this being a horse bridle chain. I was checking Google Images this morning and looked under Civil War period horse bridle chains and yours certainly looks similar. The braiding of the iron links looks identical. I couldn't find any animal trap chains with similar braiding. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but I remember finding a trace chain in Vicksburg at a Confederate camp years ago that had similar braiding.
I will be posting up some of my finds from yesterday's magnet fishing. Incredible day.

Upvote 0
Maybe discarded by a run a way ?

Attachments

• fill.jpg
    fill.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
The twisted links lets the chain lay flat. This type of chain was and is used on many, many different things.

Upvote 0
If what I have is something to do with horse tack, I think it might be this portion of a chain pictured. It runs from the bit up towards the horse's ear.

Attachments

• horse tack.png
    horse tack.png
    128 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0
The twisted links lets the chain lay flat. This type of chain was and is used on many, many different things.
True. I just thought I'd glorify this find some and make it interesting.

Upvote 0
If what I have is something to do with horse tack, I think it might be this portion of a chain pictured. It runs from the bit up towards the horse's ear.
That's most likely what it is imo. Still, as Tony says these style of chains can be used in many other ways, so who really can say for sure what it really once was ??.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back