Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this button a couple of weeks ago and immediately noticed it was made out of a metal that didn't hold up very well in the ground. Haven't put much thought into it until I came across the dry cleaning method using a tooth pick. I was able to make out a few letters and numbers. Any info on this button is appreciated! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133626.578337.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133674.197565.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133750.587314.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133777.940781.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133801.108088.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133823.060004.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422133823.060004.jpg

I would say yes, probably made in that era. Being cast pewter it's certainly early, no doubt there. I found a mold that cast them a couple of years ago.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Do you know what their use was? Guessing it was used on civilian jackets or something?

Upvote 0
Careful that one doesn't turn to dust.

Upvote 0
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Do you know what their use was? Guessing it was used on civilian jackets or something?

Not really. I would guess the main purpose was as a patriotic type button and was more about having the Spanish coat of arms than it was coping a coin. I would imagine the anser is online somewhere, maybe even posted on this site.

Upvote 0
Any ideas on how to preserve pewter buttons?

personally, I don't know anything about pewter buttons since they are not found where I live. However, I've seen others on forums post that it's best to seal them after cleaning with something that will prevent them from drying out and crumbling. Some on the forums suggest a solution of 50/50 elmers glue and water.

Upvote 0
I didnt think buttons--even ones that copied coin designs-- had dates. I could be wrong though. I would be tempted to say its a coin with a shank soldered to it,but the shank and coin do seem to be both of pewter

Upvote 0
I didnt think buttons--even ones that copied coin designs-- had dates. I could be wrong though. I would be tempted to say its a coin with a shank soldered to it,but the shank and coin do seem to be both of pewter

I've seen lots of coin buttons with dates, but this is the first pewter version I have seen.

Upvote 0
personally, I don't know anything about pewter buttons since they are not found where I live. However, I've seen others on forums post that it's best to seal them after cleaning with something that will prevent them from drying out and crumbling. Some on the forums suggest a solution of 50/50 elmers glue and water.

Or use a good amount of Museum Wax.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back