Help with bullet ID

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with an ID on this bullet ? it weighs 370 grains and is appx .51 " diameter but it is of course been fired and damaged so its hard to get an exact diameter. I thought it might be a 56-56 spencer but I am not sure they made a 370 grain bullet. I found it next to a couple different size musket balls and not too far away was a couple large rimfire cartridges and a 44 henry shell with a raised "H" headstamp so I think it is a fairly old one. Any help is appreciated , I am still learning this stuff.

Attachments

• PA301891.JPG
    PA301891.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • PA301895.JPG
    PA301895.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
shellsandbullets.jpgPA311908.JPG
Here are pictures of the other casings and bullets for context, I cleaned the 44 henry casing in the center. The long 38 bullet and the large 50 rimfire casing (with rim and center fire strike?) were from about a half mile away. The small lead ball is .44 (measures .435 114.49 grain ) with a flat spot on top , the other two are 140 grain, hard to measure the dia. but appx .45-.46.

Attachments

• PA311910.JPG
    PA311910.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
Seems to be 44+.428 and 45 .452,, but all of those calibers weighed 200-255 grains. You sure of the weight?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I may have confused this by adding the second post, I only added it to give context to the age. The first post/picture is a bullet Appx .51" Diameter (hard to get an exact measurement because it is somewhat damaged from firing) somewhere in the 50cal. range . Yes the Weight is 370 grains , unless my conversion is off. It weighs exactly 24 grams on my scale and I converted that by multiplying by 15.432 to come up with 370.368 grains.

Upvote 0
Anyone else have an idea what type the top 50 something cal. bullet is? Thanks

Upvote 0
Well...it's not a Snider which would be a 577 caliber, but I've shot a lot of different 50 calibers, and the 51 caliber measurement could likely be due to the "fattening" of the bullet because of the impact when it hit.
It also looks like there are two lube rings showing which might indicate a miniball, and mini's usually have a gas check at the bottom which would be a bit of a hollow at the base just like yours.
Just guessing though, the weight may have been a tad more too, like an unfired projectile, maybe 375 grain? I say that because it looks like it glanced off of rock and may have lost a few grains, But I wouldn't know if that's correct or not. Very interesting.
Nice going!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back