Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out detecting yesterday I found what I thought was my first Civil War three ring, but it does not look right to me. Not that I have an example to compare it to. Shows the measurements 1 inch by half-inch which I think makes it 50 caliber, it is not hollow see photos maybe it was for a handgun not sure.

Wondering how old it is, I think it's more modern.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468157378.544643.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468157397.352303.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468157409.858751.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468157420.764994.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468157433.170319.jpg

Can't tell you the specific caliber, but it's definitely modern or at least post-CW. The cannelures are a giveaway.

Upvote 0
From your reading with the calipers, it's a .50 caliper bullet, can you weight the bullet in grains to help narrow this down to specific bullets?

Upvote 0
From your reading with the calipers, it's a .50 caliper bullet, can you weight the bullet in grains to help narrow this down to specific bullets?

I only have a small jewelry scale, to heavy for it. Main thing I wanted to know is if was civil war era or not, looks like it's not. When I can get over my friends house who has a bigger scale I'll measure the grains.

Upvote 0
Your bullet's diameter, length, and body shape indicate it was made for use in the slightly post-civil-war .50-70 caliber Springfield Rifle, also called the Model-1866 Springfield and the "Trapdoor" Springfield.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1866

Time-dating your bullet:
As Mirage83 indicated, your bullet's cannelures (body-grooves) are the key to determining that it is from after the end of the civil war. Your bullet's body-grooves have multiple tiny parallel ridges inside the grooves, which is sometimes called a "knurled" or "reeded" groove. The earliest date for US manufacture of that version of bullet body-groove is 1877.

Many thousands of the .50-70 Model 1866 Springfield Rifle were sold to the public as "army surplus" in the 1870s when more-improved versions of Springfield Rifle were adopted by the army. The .50-70 was popular for hunting buffalo and other large game, so bullet-manufacturers produced .50-70 ammunition for many decades after the end of its US Army service.

Your bullet's lead-oxide patina has the look of "pure lead" patina, rather than being made of a hardened-lead alloy. So I suspect your machine-made (not home-cast) .50-70 bullet is from sometime in the late 1800s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If any of you ever happen upon a working 45-70 or 50-70 Govt, I highly recommend taking a shot. I absolutely love shooting my 45-70.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back