Help with Bottle in Bottle

Mezzo

Greenie
Feb 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for any help with this item. The smaller glass tube/vial/jar screws into the inside of the cap which then fits into and screws onto the larger one. Reads, "Federal Law Forbids Sale or Re-use of this Bottle" and the bottom is marked, "D-60, 9789, 9-S-5. I have looked and asked others. Only have come up with the idea that it was for alcohol and maybe crushed ice. Any help would be appreciated. DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0003.jpgView attachment DSC_0004.jpgView attachment DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0008.JPG

for sure looks like its used to keep something cold.

Upvote 0
That's a really nice find. Congrats.

Upvote 0
OK, this ones a hum dinger. I would have thought it might be a thermos of some kind with the internal "chiller" but beings it marked Federal Law Forbids Sale or Re-use of this Bottle, it may have contained some king of chemical or cleaner. I love a good hunt, so off I go. I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
I hope you have better luck than I have Lookingharder. I picked it up at an estate sale from a woman who liked to collect lots of different stuff. Thank you for your interest and help.

Upvote 0
Catalyzed liquids perhaps.

Upvote 0
I would think for dual chemicals or liquids that couldn't be mixed until ready to use

Upvote 0
I would think for dual chemicals or liquids that couldn't be mixed until ready to use

That is what I was getting at... like glow sticks, two part epoxy or clear coat paint! You mix two chemicals together, and the change into something else.

Upvote 0
Seems odd though that they would have you open the top and pull out a glass container that is immersed in a chemical. I am baffled.

Upvote 0
I hope you have better luck than I have Lookingharder. I picked it up at an estate sale from a woman who liked to collect lots of different stuff. Thank you for your interest and help.

Ahhhhhh.
That's where all of our Finds / buys / Keepers will eventually end up. 'Estate Sale'.

Interesting find indeed.

Upvote 0
Betcha it makes a killer martini

Upvote 0
On the idea of mixing chemicals,wonder if bottle was meant to be thrown and chemicals mixed upon glass breaking?...just my 2 cents worth

Upvote 0
It is not uncommon to come across screw-top liquor bottles from the 20th century that are boldly embossed on their shoulders or bases with the above text. After Prohibition was repealed on December 5, 1933, US laws once again allowed the legal manufacture and sale of alcoholic drink. Liquor was legal but producing it was subject to greater Federal control.

One law required that alcoholic bottles must be embossed with the text, “FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE” This law went into effect in 1935 and was repealed on December 1, 1964.

The reason for this legislation is fairly obvious: after over a decade of Prohibition, law enforcement was well aware of the illegal trade in alcohol (bootlegging) and wanted to prevent the refilling of bottles by black market businesses.

Research obtained from:
https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/learn/federal-law-forbids-sale-or-reuse-of-this-bottle/

I’m pretty sure if you post your question their forum section there will b with equivalent of one of us treasure hunters but an expert in bottles tha will jump to help

Here: http://forum.antiquebottles-glass.com/

Cheers and great luck

‘Scoop

671E0AA9-622D-43A8-BFBA-0AA6D55665FE.jpeg

Upvote 0
It amazes me, that with today's internet I can find the atomic weight of a gnat fart, how many tooth picks end to end it would take to get to the moon, but it seems you have the only one of these jars on the planet,:dontknow: There should be a award like a Banner find for things that cant be identified. We could call it the WTF award. Ok, guys , clean up your minds. WTF = Whats That Find.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the laugh, Lookingharder. Sounds like you understand my frustration. Thanks for giving it a go though. I'm sure someone, somewhere knows.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back