Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help please with a military button

Hi guys! Found this button this past Sunday on the property of a home built in 1900. It measures 7/8" in diameter. The back reads Scovill Mfg Co. Waterburry Considering the age of the property I'm guessing it's a WWI or WWII button but that is an uneducated guess at best. Thanks in advance for your time and willingness to share your expertise.

Jay

002.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
It is a "Great Seal" US Army button, first adopted for army service in 1902, and still in use today. But, because yours has a raised rim around the emblem, and "black finish" on the brass front, it was made sometime between 1917 and 1923, when the use of "black finish" on US Army buttons was ended.

Edit-note: Beez0402 pointed out a typo in one of the dates -- which I've now fixed. Yes, I meant to type 1923, not 1823. [Blush.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a "Great Seal" US Army button, first adopted for army service in 1902, and still in use today. But, because yours has a raised rim around the emblem, and "black finish" on the brass front, it was made sometime between 1917 and 1823, when the use of "black finish" on US Army buttons was ended.

I'm assuming you meant made between 1917 and 1923 correct? I thank you very much for that information. Now when I get enough items for a display case I can accurately list it.

Upvote 0
Yes, I meant to type 1923. By the way... because so many millions of those buttons were manufactured during World War One, there was almost no need to make any more from the war's end until 1923, when the regulation for them having "black finish" was dropped, and the manufacture of "bronze finish" ones was resumed. So, your "black finish" one is very highly likely to have been made during the war years.

Upvote 0
Funny, I found two of those buttons earlier this week and TheCannonBallGuy helped me as well. My post on the find is here. Mine aren't the WWI age, but I saw your post and thought it was cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back