Help with 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar real or fake.

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6070.jpeg
    IMG_6070.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
well it is a damn good fake if indeed counterfeit. My problem with coin is LIBERTY has carrot indents at bottom of each letter. But look at this NCG coin on E-bay - no carrot indents on letters. Send it in and have it graded!
NGC Graded coin

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: ARC
You know if I could tell a fake just from a pic I'd be in for a steep pay raise...show a pic of the edge and both sides of your coin out of the holder...add the weight and diameter and I'll tell if it's a forgery or not

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll get more pictures in a bit. Phone died. Did manage get edge picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Hi - It looks much more like a replica than an original to me. Here's a comparison -the top one is a fake off of Etsy, the middle is yours, and the bottom one sold at Heritage Auctions for 870K in 2021. Look at the stars and hair.. just to start.

Attachments

• halfd1794compare.jpg
    halfd1794compare.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 165
It's a fake. Unfortunately, fake coins from China are everywhere. Where did you get this one?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The stars are not right. They are rotated. The point of the star should be facing the rim. I think all US coins are like that. The US needs to retaliate against China for all the fakes they produce. Maybe flood China with a billion fake yuan notes.😂

Nothing about it matches any of the genuine varieties.

It's worth its weight in the pot metal it's made of. 😄👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back