HELP? --Please

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m still working on my computer skills .

So Does anyone have any pictures of any Brass Civil War Gun Cleaning Tools
for pistols through rifles?

In the past I dug a est, 3 inch piece of an Enfield brass Cleaning brush (With no wire remaining) that if I recall right had "male" type threading on one end.

Now I've dug 2 diff, brass items that look like cleaning tools but I can not find a match in any of my books .
1 is est, 5 inches long twisted brass with with a female thread on both ends and the other piece
is a little shorter or the same length that has a threaded end & on the tip is a small slot in its end where a patch might go through. Just like a modern pistol cleaning jag.
I hopefully can post some pictures ..(soon):icon_scratch:
Thanks for any help.
Davers.:thumbsup:

This info may help,
The bullet types I've dug in the area of these finds were , Sharps Carbines , Burnside ,Spencer a few Smith Carbine bullets
& 36 and 44 cal , pistol/rifle bullets.
Thanks
Davers

Upvote 0
Your description sounds much like a cleaning kit.
Tip: if you find the attatchment button underneath your post, you can easily upload pics from your computer to your post.

Your items sound neat, I'd surely enjoy taking a peek at em

Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing the photos, to help you identify your brass bore-cleaning brushes. Meanwhile, here's a photo of one often mistaken as civil war era, but t'is actually a Model-1903 Springfield .30-06 rifle's bore-cleaning brush, with the kit it came in.

Attachments

• gunpart_bore-cleaner-brush_1903springfield-rifle--cleaning-kit_TN_postedbyDCMatt.jpg
    gunpart_bore-cleaner-brush_1903springfield-rifle--cleaning-kit_TN_postedbyDCMatt.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply's guys

CBG-The "Enfield cleaning brush that I found a couple years ago looks like the (TOP) brush in the pic, you posted [ no bristles] of course .
Did the Enfield rifle have a similar type cleaning brush?

I need to clean up my last months finds by Wednesday So I hope to post some pics, of the Items i,m asking about around that time.
Thanks for the help
Davers

Upvote 0
The civil war era Enfield rifle did not use a bore-cleaning brush. Instead, the "business end" of the Enfield rifle's ramrod had a slot for a small cloth to fit through it, for cleaning the rifle's bore. See photos below.

The civil war version of twisted-wire-with-bristles bore brush was made for use in breechloading rifles/carbines, because unlike muzzleloaders, breechloaders tended to not have a ramrod. The pre-1866 US Army bore brushes had a cord or leather thong CLAMPED (by a tubular brass ferrule) onto the end of the brush. Notice that the brass tube does not have a screw-threaded tip at its end, which the post1865 versions DO have. You would open the barrel's breech, put the cord/thong's end down the barrel, and grab the end of the cord/thong at the barrel's muzzle to pull the brush through the barrel (repeatedly) to clean it. I'll include a photo of a nondug specimen of yankee breechloading Sharps rifle/carbine bore brush, with the original two cords/thongs on it.

I should mention, the civil war Sharps bore brush had two thongs, attached to opposite ends of the brush. There was also a "generic" version of US Army breechloader bore-brush which had only one thong. The "generic" version is shown in the last of the photos below (a super-closeup photo). Note that it has a groove in the brush's ferrule (the brass sleeve which gripped the brush's twisted wires).

Attachments

• gunpart_ramrod_Enfield-model-1853_rammer-end-detail_photobyGundersonmilitaria.jpg
    gunpart_ramrod_Enfield-model-1853_rammer-end-detail_photobyGundersonmilitaria.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 78
  • gunpart_ramrod_Enfield-model-1853_rammer-end-detail_DixieGunWorksReproduction_RP0200.jpg
    gunpart_ramrod_Enfield-model-1853_rammer-end-detail_DixieGunWorksReproduction_RP0200.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 67
  • guntool_bore-brush_Sharps_double-thong_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_sharpbrush_1.jpg
    guntool_bore-brush_Sharps_double-thong_Mcpheetersantiquemilitariadotcom_sharpbrush_1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 67
  • guntool_bore-brush_US-Carbine_single-thong_WIRE-SLOT-IN-FERRULE_1861-1872_Mcpheetersantiquemilit.jpg
    guntool_bore-brush_US-Carbine_single-thong_WIRE-SLOT-IN-FERRULE_1861-1872_Mcpheetersantiquemilit.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The civil war era Enfield rifle did not use a bore-cleaning brush. Instead, the "business end" of the Enfield rifle's ramrod had a slot for a small cloth to fit through it, for cleaning the rifle's bore. See photos below.

The civil war version of twisted-wire-with-bristles bore brush was made for use in breechloading rifles/carbines, because unlike muzzleloaders, breechloaders tended to not have a ramrod. The pre-1866 US Army bore brushes had a cord or leather thong CLAMPED (by a tubular brass ferrule) onto the end of the brush. Notice that the brass tube does not have a screw-threaded tip at its end, which the post1865 versions DO have. You would open the barrel's breech, put the cord/thong's end down the barrel, and grab the end of the cord/thong at the barrel's muzzle to pull the brush through the barrel (repeatedly) to clean it. I'll include a photo of a nondug specimen of yankee breechloading Sharps rifle/carbine bore brush, with the original two cords/thongs on it.

I should mention, the civil war Sharps bore brush had two thongs, attached to opposite ends of the brush. There was also a "generic" version of US Army breechloader bore-brush which had only one thong. The "generic" version is shown in the last of the photos below (a super-closeup photo). Note that it has a groove in the brush's ferrule (the brass sleeve which gripped the brush's twisted wires).

First off I Sincerely want to thank you CannonBallGuy for all your help & Time as it is very much appreciated.
I have seen you help many others with IDs in the past year & hoped you would reply to my thread.

Now ill try not to rant.
I have to leave here to take my Dad to the ortho-Doc, at 9.30 this morn.
As i looked at your last pics, I,m starting to believe that the brush piece I thought had 2 "Female" screw ends is indeed the Sharps brush that had the Leather attached at one time , also my dropped Sharps carbine bullets were dug near by.
Which leaves to ? the slotted piece & the brush part I dug a couple years ago.

When I get back I go ahead and "TRY" to post pics, of the items i'm talking about.

If I recall right ,the brush I dug 2 years ago is still pictured under
ngrha .com finds of the month Jan, Feb, or March 2012 =(North Georgia Relic Hunters Association ) & Was labeled as a piece of an Enfield cleaning brush ; from a pic. I found on the "ERRORNET".
Still could be the US Model you pictured.:icon_scratch:
Did you happen to know the Original length of the US model brush ? if not it's cool.
Ill check back ASAP
Thanks again
Davers..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Pictures "hopefully"

IMG-20140218-00187.jpg
This picture shows the type of cleaning brush I dug a couple years ago.

IMG-20140218-00192.jpgIMG-20140218-00191.jpg

These two pic,s show what "May " be the Sharps Cleaning Brush/Wire & one of the 2 identical End's

IMG-20140218-00189.jpgIMG-20140218-00188.jpg

The last 2 pictures are of the cleaning jag type piece I spoke of & it's end that's still filled with dirt.

Note. The 2 pieces Brush/ Jag were dug about 15 ft apart.
And
The first photo was taken at a local Antique Shop today.

Thanks again
Davers

Upvote 0
AHHHHHH
Worked out well
I,m so glad.
Davers

Upvote 0
Almost Solved ( I Hope)

Like the Pink Floyd song says " Is there anybody out there"

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0