Help please-detectors

eccentric

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't sure where to ask this question so hope that this forum is ok.

I have for a long time though about getting a metal detector for beach combing but my trips to the beach are rare so have been putting it off, however I now need to get one to locate some "buried treasure" and even after reading a lot about them I don't know what to get.

An elderly relative with dementia has buried his (genuine) gold watch and coins that included gold sovereigns to keep them "safe". My understanding is that they were mostly gold coins that he had collected when he was young, no one has the faintest idea of when he buried them or where so I want to get a metal detector to try to find the hidden items for them and also be able to later use it for beach combing.

I live in Australia what do you suggest are the best options.

Upvote 0
Good luck finding the fellows stash. No telling where he buried it or how deep. I might have placed it in different locations too. As for the detector for the beach about any of the cheaper entry level ones would do for the dry sand. Forget the wet sand unless you want to drop some serious coin. PI's are very deep but will find every hairpin ever lost and tiny bits of gum wrappers too. Take Gary's advice and visit a dealer to try the out.:icon_thumleft:

NRA5.JPGJoin NRA.JPG

Last edited:
I live in a town of less than 50,000 people and although there is a sports store they don't stock metal detectors due to insufficient demand. If I try calling sport stores haphazardly and not knowing anything about detectors, I feel that I might get ripped off because they may try to sell me whatever they can make most money off and not necessarily the most effective item because I would never know/be able to tell if it was actually suitable for my purposes or was doing what it was supposed to do.

Then i would contact (PM) some of our supporting vendors on here,and ask some questions...i don`t know if any sell international,some might.if not then buy in your Country.
Gary

Sounds like a real treasure hunt gonna be real.nice if u find it best of luck to ya

Minelab mate. Depending on you budget, US$500 - US$7,000.00 Good Luck!

Yup, you have a great detector company right in your own country. Your biggest decisions will be whether you need it to be waterproof or not and how much you can afford to spend. You should be able to order one from a detector store in one of your major cities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back