Help on a cannon emplacement .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I need some input . Got permission to hunt a cannon emplacement (I think 3 guns) on a high bluff
overlooking a river bridge . There are two trenches dug in under the crest 300 or so yds in length each still visible . The top of the bluff has been bulldozed in recent years so I have no idea whether the cannon would have been placed on the edge for direct fire or held back out of sight for indirect fire . Cannister shot has been found in recent years a hundred yards or so back from the rim.
Any input will be appreciated .
Jim

Upvote 0
Without knowing anything about the place I would say that evidence of Canister shot would mean that the position was for direct fire.

spartacus53 said:
Without knowing anything about the place I would say that evidence of Canister shot would mean that the position was for direct fire.
Thanks for the reply . I have given sketchy details because my MIL has run numerous hunters
off her place over the years and will only allow me to hunt . I can't even bring a friend to share :(
Range to bridge span is thousand to fourteen hundred yds .Seemed long for cannister . My thought was that it was held in reserve for cannons moved to the front of the bluff to repel a frontal assault .

You are correct, canister was only used for short distances. I was not certain how far the gun emplacement was from the actual bridge. I though it was in close proximity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back