HELP!!! New To Treasure Searching

I

Imsdisc

Hi there,

I am a newbie to Treasure Hunting have not actually started yet. I am looking for any advice that anyone can give me on what kind of metal detector I should get and where I should go to look for treasure. I am living in Surprise AZ which is outside of Phoenix and would like to start this as a hobby. I have always had an interest in doing this and am now ready to start. Any advice that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
I am pretty new to this, but have a brother that goes to AZ every winter and gets gold and meteorites. Anyhow, depending on your budget, for a low cost and good machine,..I say good because seems like quite a few people on this forum have this model and seem to fare well with it. It is the Garrets Ace 250. You can get one for under 200$ I have seen them on kelly co plus you get free shipping and some extras. However, if you want to get into the gold nugget aspect of hunting you may need to invest a few more dollars. My bros detector cost upwards of 3000$ It is VERY good at finding nice nuggets, and meteorites. He recently found a nugget and got about 10grand for it!!! He even got to write a couple articles in some magazines! Anyhow like I said, it depends on how much you want to spend, how deep you want to go,and what you want to find. I am by far not an expert, but there are a few on this forum that im sure will be glad to give you some great advice. All I know whatever you get...you will never put it down...well until you buy a different model! LOL Good luck on what ever finds you, and good luck on your next hunt. Looking forward to your posts in the future!! :)

Welcome to the forum Imsdisc.
There are a lot of good metal detectors on the market. For just general coin and relic hunting the new Garrett Ace 250 is not a bad choice. It retails at, I believe, $250.00. As far as places to go, city parks, school yards, church yards, private yards, etc. City parks usually don't have any restrictions on metal detecting but it would be a good idea to check with your local city hall to be sure. The same applies to school yards. Wherever you go, just be sure that you have permission and always fill all holes and pick up all your trash. As far as private property, you would be surprised how often permission will be granted to hunt if you approach the property owner properly. Good luck and let us know what you decide. We'll be lookiing for some great finds to be posted here.
BRD

Thanks for all the good tips so far. Anyone on this board from the phoenix area that could give me some pointers on places to start looking? Ya'll are a great bunch of people here.

if u have never mded get a cheaper Whites, then after a couple of years and a lil more money go with the more complicated (and more exspensive) machines like Minelab.

The Garrett ACE is a nice starter,BUT.....................Like TOWcritter said.........If you can find a local place that sells,and/ Rents them.......You should take a few for a test drive,before making a dicesion...........As far as where to go......If you get to rent one.....Start in your own yard if you live in an older neighborhood.......Some of the best lost finds are there...............Happy Hunting

You can see my gear at the bottom of the page. I paid $270.00 and got a lot of free stuff like a pinpointer and then some. You should go to kellyco good prices and lots of free stuff. You should also make sure you get a handheld pinpointer. They help a great deal. After it rains is a good time to detect you get better signals. You should also get a Frisbee to check your dirt. A good digger is important get a strong one with teeth. (A spade) Digging every signal is important Pull Tabs can be Rings. You should hunt older sites for older coins like churches and schools. Hunt new schools and parks for jewelry. I am still new and thats about all I know. Oh never clean old coins that may hold valuable just rinse them off a little.

Welcome and HH!! (Happy Hunting)

Attachments

• dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 300
  • dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 250
Welcome Imsdisc, You have landed in the right spot which shows above average intelligence and a desire to learn. The only advice I can really give is be patient and persistent. No matter what machine you chose those two rules will make you a good detectorist.( Is That A Word?? LOL). The above info is all good and the only other thing I might add is buy what you can afford. I started off on the high end and the learning curve is a challenge but then again most things in life are a challenge and if not I would get bored doing them. This is a great hobby and a great group here. Hope to see you post some finds soon and ask any other questions you want. HH

Hey there again. What does everyone think of the bounty hunter time ranger?

Did you know, that 60% of the time a ring registers as a pulltab?!?!?! :o

Imsdisc said:
Hey there again. What does everyone think of the bounty hunter time ranger?

Too expensive and isn't even as good as the Ace 250. If your looking to buy a medium good detector, just buy a top of the line one and you'll save a lot of money cause yoiu won't have to buy a better one probuallly in the near future. My advise would be a top model White's, Garrett, or Minelab. All would do just about the same for ya.

Matt

Hi everyone,
I am new to treasure hunting myself. I was given a bounty hunter fast tracker detector. i have only found three pennies in my back yard so far.I am sort of confused on the tones I get.Which tone means what? I only have a sensivity dial and a disrmination dial. this machine is pretty sensitive. i found a can under a rock.. can anyone give me any pointers? and does anyone know of a club in rochester ny i can join.. thanks lorraine :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back