Help needed for a new guy

Aug 22, 2024
Okay, I'm reaching out for assistance in finding a ring that I lost in my old barn. Here is some background: The workshop in my barn has a limestone gravel floor. The gravel is about 1 inch. The barn is very old and the workshop section has been used extensively. Needless to say, there is a lot of old metal (screws, scrap iron, metal pieces, etc) buried within the dirt and gravel. Of course, my detector goes off constantly.

So here is where I need your help. How would you advise that I set up my metal detector to only ping on my ring? Specifically, the ring is made of Platinum. Furthermore, the ring is going to be very close to the surface. I suspect it has nestled its way just under the gravel surface, so it is not deep. My metal detector is a Garrett AT Max.

I think this is a very novice question and I am very inexperienced in detecting, so I really appreciate your patience and understanding.

I’m not familiar with the nuances of your detector. With mine (Nokta Simplex plus) I would notch out the lower signals and expect a clear, solid tone from the platinum. Ignore the scratchy, weak tones. I wouldn’t think it too difficult. Good luck.🍀

I’m not familiar with the nuances of your detector. With mine (Nokta Simplex plus) I would notch out the lower signals and expect a clear, solid tone from the platinum. Ignore the scratchy, weak tones. I wouldn’t think it too difficult. Good luck.🍀
Thanks so much for the advice. Took me a minute but I figured out how to notch out the iron signals. I was able to find my ring. Needless to say, I was very happy and so was my wife. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back