Help me ID coins

Reddog3000

Sep 30, 2008
DAYTON, OHIO
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt tracker E series eclipse 950
Hi all i am new here and this is my first post. i have a few questions about these 3 coins. First of all i cant read one of them but maybe u can tell by looking what they are and where they were made? Also i have only cleaned with a damp cloth, should i try to clean them in a different way? Also i would like to know if there is any value to any of them? THANK YOU 035.JPG038.JPGfor any help given! Randy

Welcome.
I am also new here.I have one like the second one,but mine faces the other way,someone told me it was a British half penny of George lll
Maybe some one can tell us both. Everyone here is GREAT! :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0
The second one is a Connecticut copper.

Upvote 0
ok know this on british coins as they went from king to king the royal mint switched the way the faced or "looked" ---left -right --left on old similar half penny and penny coins which way the king is facing can help cut in half which group it is --- left facing or right facing kings.

Upvote 0
warning do not clean them repeat do not clean them !!! you will ruin their collector value if you do. --- :'(

Upvote 0
Welcome to the net. Some of the people on this net are amazing. As to value, every coin has value, sometimes more to the finder than anyone else. Happy hunting.

TimC

Upvote 0
dirt diva said:
Welcome.
I am also new here.I have one like the second one,but mine faces the other way,someone told me it was a British half penny of George lll
Maybe some one can tell us both. Everyone here is GREAT! :icon_sunny:

Yes I like the second one too, such a nice face...I agree with you on the other subject too... (everyone is....)

Upvote 0
smudger said:
the english coin in fine condition would be worth between $30 to $40

HUH??? I have to get those out of my dump box I guess.....

Upvote 0
Well, those coins look already cleaned Ivan, and when it comes to state coppers, especially CT coppers, all the dirt has to be off to be able to in most instances identify the variety, since there are so many of them with such minute details that are different.

I spent a bit of time looking at the CT copper and it is not the AUCTOPI variety, it is I think a Very Rare R6 variety and even in that shape might be worth more than a hundred, If it is what I think it is than you should be happy to find a CT copper in decent shape (at least the Obverse side is) the Reverse side even on the two examples I have seen are usually weakly struck (due to worn out die according to literature on this variety) and thus not as good as the Obverse side. The corrosion on the coin makes it very hard to judge a true value, state coppers vary greatly, just like anything else, if there is a collector out there and there is more than one interested in that particular variety, then the value will increase a tad.

I am almost certain the coin is a 1787 Miller 33.27-r.4 variety. (Rarity 6 - Approximately 25 give or take known)

In 2004 two were auctioned off, one PCGS XF40 went for $550 and another F15 went for $150, your coin is sharper on the Obverse than the F15 one, but much worse on the Reverse.

Don

Upvote 0
Nice finds! Found my second CT. this yr. My sister, on her first hunt no less, found a cft. 174-(2)or (7) a couple weeks ago. It's an awesome feeling these coming out of the ground. Both of yours are in better shape than ours. Real nice CT. Congrats Hogge :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hi all i would first like to THANK YOU ALL for all the great information and compliments about these coins. These 3 coins were all found in NY about four years ago. I still dont know wheather or not to clean them (i have read on here yes clean it and no dont clean it). i dont want to damage them further. I have a few more that i need to find out what they are but i will do that in a different post. I am a avid collector, never have i sold anything that i have found, my wife is the coin collector so if a coin is found it goes into her collection. I have always been an outdoor person who likes digging, from old bottles an relics to hunting arrowheads, to you name it. I am a marble collector and found out about this site through a person on that forum. So i have been reading everything on this site and i have learned so much. I had not hunted for awhile so walked out into the field in back of my home where the farmer had just taken down his sow beans and found a 2 cent 1865, a 1964 quarter and a 1973 penny along with alot of junk which goes along with it but now i have the fever again, lol

Upvote 0
I sort of looked around and found some photos of the coins, as they would look (professionally) cleaned up. These are examples, not your exact coins, but thought it would be nice to see some of the details..

Attachments

• Photo obv_resize.jpg
    Photo obv_resize.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Photo rev_resize.jpg
    Photo rev_resize.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back