Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this today, I'm thinking a Scottish King Charles II but am not sure. I don't have any photos of the back right now, I will see if I can get any. The back is pretty smooth except for what looks like some faint design. The coin is pretty thin and looks a little crudely shaped, I found it at a place that has given up almost 10 coppers dating as far back as the 1690's.

IMG_20150712_142503.jpg

If it's a copper from the reign of Scottish Charles II, could it be anything but a 'bawbee' (1677-1679) or a Twopence?
Don........

Halfpenny/Large Cent size. Do you think it could be a Charles Copper?
IMG_20150712_154411.jpg

Upvote 0
if it is halfpenny/large cent sized, I would think that would make it a tad too big to be a bawbee (which would feature a crowned thistle on the reverse by the way). The left facing bust doesnt look like George II (though with the numerous counterfeits of those you can't say for sure). An Irish halfpenny-- or counterfeit thereof-- of George II would be a possibility. Also maybe a James II or Charles II Irish halfpenny (though I can't remember if either of those featured left facing busts).

Upvote 0
I can't tell if it's a Scottish Charles copper or not, but if it is, it would most likely be a Charles II bawbee, or sixpence Scots. With the exception of only an extremely rare Charles I pattern threepence (stroke in silver for a copper threepence of 26 grams), I'm unfamiliar with any other Scots Charles I copper coin. Though my lineage is Scottish, my knowledge of their coins is quite limited; and I express my opinion as a NON expert.
Don..

Upvote 0
I can't tell if it's a Scottish Charles copper or not, but if it is, it would most likely be a Charles II bawbee, or sixpence Scots. With the exception of only an extremely rare Charles I pattern threepence (stroke in silver for a copper threepence of 26 grams), I'm unfamiliar with any other Scots Charles I copper coin. Though my lineage is Scottish, my knowledge of their coins is quite limited; and I express my opinion as a NON expert.
Don..

It's hard to tell with these old coppers, they all look similar. Considering the corrosion this one may be tough. Here's it compared with a bawbee
IMG_20150712_154411.jpg767805024_tp.jpg

Upvote 0
Can't tell from where your finger is, but how does the hairline/brow match up with the bawbee?

Upvote 0
What does the back look like, although badly worn I would have expected at least one letter to survive, there appears to be none at all.:dontknow:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back