54.4 KB · Views: 205
  • buttons 012.jpg
    buttons 012.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 200
  • buttons 010.jpg
    buttons 010.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 200
Re: Help ID'ing Button

Start with this. Poseidon in his chariot. Still researching for other info...

Poseidon_Chariot.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

The clasped hands design suggests that this is a button from a fraternal order or insurance-benefit society.

1892 could be either commemorative (founding, etc.) or the actual year of issue.

What are the initials at the top? There appears to be an illegible letter, followed by "S. U. A."

Upvote 0

Nice one DCMatt!

That's exactly what I was searching for. And PBK, the clasped hands was another thing that led me to believe "brotherhood" type of meaning.

Tony

Upvote 0
I.S.U.A. Button

The letters at the top is I.S.U.A.

I thought it was something to do with International Seamans United Association or something like that.

Thanks for looking,

Upvote 0

The Atlantic Coast Seamen's Union (ACSU) was founded in 1891 and joined with other seamen's organizations in 1892 to form the National Seamen's Union of America (from 1895, the International Seamen's Union of America [ISUA]). The ACSU became the Sailors' Union of the Atlantic (SUA) about 1913. When the ISUA recalled its charter that year, the union changed its name to the Sailors' and Firemen's Union of the Atlantic and received a charter from the International Longshoremen's Association as local 859 (Transport Workers), but the new charter was recalled shortly thereafter on the protest of the ISUA.

Upvote 0

Just one more note... The arrival or sight of Poseidon's chariot was said to calm any storm. I can see why a seaman's union would use it as it's symbol.

Cool find! And nice work PBK, as usual.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back