help IDing button found in Antietam battlefield area

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
I went early to hunt a small field in town. First hit, a small buckle. Second hit a wagon spike. Third hit a....shotgun shell...no...OMG another brass button. I got so excited I grabbed the phone and called civilman1. It didn't occur to me how early it stil was. Luckily he was up and ready for a hunt. I stopped and went home to wait for him.
A couple of hours later we met at the field and went to work. An hour later, nothing. So we headed over to the area that I found the brass button yeasterday. The farmer was in the fields so we got permission to hunt his fields for the next two days. COOL! So we went to work again. Alot of iron and not much else.
We ended our hunt at the soccer field next door and both coame out with a little clad.
If anyone could help IDing this button I would greatly appreciate it. It's about the size on a quarter, a good 1/8 inch thick, a hole through the center but it looks like a shank broke off of the back (maybe not), and it is very heavy for a button.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 401
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 377
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 388
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 394
A one hole button with no shank? Do you really think a shank was on there?

It looks like a two piece something... any chance it's a wheel from a toy car?

I hope it IS a button... maybe PBK or Don in SJ can help...

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
A one hole button with no shank? Do you really think a shank was one there?

It looks like a two piece something... any chance it's a wheel from a toy car?

I hope it IS a button... maybe PBK or Don in SJ can help...

I am not sure. I looks like a crimp on the ringed side. I just don't know.
The wheel is not a bad suggestion. I'll look into it.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
I dunno... might be a button... I agree that it's two piece... I hope you find out!
OK I'm dumb. what's a "two piece"?
If you mean made from two pieces, the answer is, no. this thing is SOLID no matter how you look at it.

Upvote 0
tymcmurray said:
Montana Jim said:
I dunno... might be a button... I agree that it's two piece... I hope you find out!
OK I'm dumb. what's a "two piece"?
If you mean made from two pieces, the answer is, no. this thing is SOLID no matter how you look at it.

Ahhh... I mean the front is seperate from the back... It looked like the cack came over the front and crimped around the edge... I guess your saying it's solid... my mistake!

Upvote 0
I also have 2 of these. I found them at different times, in different places, but old places. Mine are different sizes, and one has some silver or nickle plating left on it. I don't know what they are either, but they're made exactly like yours. I'll be watching this to see what others have to say.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
button backing --the "front part" cover had a peg end with a hole in it that went thru the hole and secured it to the clothes the front part had a foil type body that crimped around the edge of the disc with the hole in it -- thats my "possible" take on it-- Ivan

Upvote 0
Probably way off base, but it somehow makes me think of the firing mechanism on a cannon. Don't laugh, after all I am .095% correct on my guesses! M ??? nty

Upvote 0
It's pretty thick and heavy to actually be a button, or part of a button. If it was, it would have to be on a heavy coat or something thick to keep it from pulling the fabric over time. Plus, one of the ones I have has the gilt on it.

I keep thinking something like that too Monty, but there weren't any cannons around my area to my knowledge, and the gilt thing again. I think what makes me keep thinking of an explosive is the fact that it so closely resembles a shotgun shell.

Upvote 0
I saw one of these on a Minelab web site. It was found in a CW camp but not identified. The had it with the buttons in the display.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

tinwarestir.JPG

Bottom of a stirring device (use of this item is unknown).

MVC-009S.JPG

Top of a canteen cork.

Just thoughts...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
medicence mixer or strainer-- hold "solid" items (leaves or sassafrass bark) down to the bottom of the cup while liquids are pour off the top or to mix and blend items together in the cup with ---see cup and mixer / stirrer / strainer in photo --- if meds --the rather smallish cup makes sense -- (had to have something to hold the mint leaves down while making your mint julip) ;) Ivan

Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I saw one of these on a Minelab web site. It was found in a CW camp but not identified. The had it with the buttons in the display.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

tinwarestir.JPG

Bottom of a stirring device (use of this item is unknown).

MVC-009S.JPG

The canteen thing looks closer but there is no wear in the hole at all. Clean hole.

Top of a canteen cork.

Just thoughts...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
medicence mixer or strainer-- hold "solid" items (leaves or sassafrass bark) down to the bottom of the cup while liquids are pour off the top or to mix and blend items together in the cup with --- Ivan

Beside the canteen item, this idea sounds most likely.
Being sooo heavy.
I'll try to find some photos.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back