Help identifying

Jennifer923

Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!
I live in central Maryland on old farming property. Our house dates back to 1864.
We had a tree removed and during the process they uncovered some odd items. I have been scouring the internet trying to find answers. I thought maybe someone here could help. Have you ever seen these before? Some of them are solid like stone. One is a little puffy and feels like leather.
Any help you can give would be so greatly appreciated. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_9078.jpeg
    IMG_9078.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 1
If one is leather they may all be (hard or not). Stack them up and maybe they're a boot heel?

Interesting find and perceptive ID suggestion, I think. Tanned leather can last a very long time in the ground. I've found shoe parts that were about 150 years old. If they are shoe or boot heel layers, I think there would be nail holes around their perimeters. The nails would have been used to hold them together. I think I see some of those holes in some of the pieces, but not sure. If there are no holes, glue alone would have had to hold them together. There are not many glues today that would stand up to the wetting of shoe soles and there were fewer such glues in the past.

Hello!
I live in central Maryland on old farming property. Our house dates back to 1864.
We had a tree removed and during the process they uncovered some odd items. I have been scouring the internet trying to find answers. I thought maybe someone here could help. Have you ever seen these before? Some of them are solid like stone. One is a little puffy and feels like leather.
Any help you can give would be so greatly appreciated. 😊
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back