gold rock 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • gold rock 2.jpg
    gold rock 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 56
  • gold rock 3.jpg
    gold rock 3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks (to me) like pyrite in magnetite or hematite.
Is it magnetic?

can anyone tell me what kind of rock this is? found at Slab City outskirts. thank you in advance.
If you’re taking the photo with an Iphone, there is a magnifying glass app that takes awesome sharp closeups in good natural light.

I triple click the single right button to activate mine.

I’ve found gold deposits in graphite before. That’s what it appears to be to me (if in fact it’s gold and not pyrite).
hard to tell from the out of focus photos.

The graphite typically makes a gold detector go nuts.

I’ve found gold deposits in graphite before. That’s what it appears to be to me (if in fact it’s gold and not pyrite).
hard to tell from the out of focus photos.
+1.
The graphite typically makes a gold detector go nuts.
Yup. :thumbsup: The first "hot rock" I ever found (with MD) was graphite. Graphite is a form of crystalline carbon, so some metallic impurities had to be present.

Last edited:
It appears to be a Silver ore. Any ore will contain other metals, gold will have silver, copper, platinum etc, and silver will have gold, copper, lead etc.
The large copper mining companies make the profit from precious metals.
Are there any silver/lead mines near by? I have bucket loads of silver ore, that came from a mine closed during WW2, they must have several hundred tons of ore stockpiled, problem is access, only way in nowadays is by a 4x4 quad, the road is completely gone ,huge drop off on one side, cliff wall on the other and to get there you need to go upstream in a wash that would bury a 4x4 truck up to the axles.
20200416_141525.jpg

Attachments

• 20191223_155748.jpg
    20191223_155748.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 9
I have bucket loads of silver ore, that came from a mine closed during WW2, they must have several hundred tons of ore stockpiled, problem is access, only way in nowadays is by a 4x4 quad, the road is completely gone ,huge drop off on one side, cliff wall on the other and to get there you need to go upstream in a wash that would bury a 4x4 truck up to the axles.
I think the relevant question there is, who owns that property now?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back